Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boat drag strip

Here in so cal your free to rent what used to be the home of drag boat racing, Marine Stadium...right behind Bako, from the city and do with it what you please. As long as you comply to the rules they lay down.
    Ski Land was the last great privately owned body of water that held races, it was open until what...the mid to late 80's? I can remember my last trip there was in '82 I think. Is that property all developed now? I haven't been there in years.

mcderns
    Like Unchained said, Blarney Island! I run there every week. Its a blast. Its not sanctioned, and not timed. Its like street racing on the water. We do have all the safety and everything like the rest of the races, dive teams, recovery boats etc. We run back to back, and you cant pull your boat out of the water, or even make changes between rounds. Its truly run what you brung. If your ever in the Chicagoland area over the summer, come check it out!

Mile long lake with steel canopies Kind of sounds like Ming :idea:
    Hey Brian whats the word are they going to drain and dredge it ? or is that just a rumor? Tom

Placecraft Dragstar
    mark mark mark
    That is what you wanted to do for a race,
    1) no lights
    2) no saftey boat or equipment
    3) no holding rope
    4) boat ramp wayyyy up river
    5) like a 4 mph current in river ( could be fine with proper equipment )
    6) starting line under a bridge that was small and concrete
    7) river WAY TO NARROW!!!!!!
    8) plus trees growing into it on the sides bad
    9) river had a dog leg in it bad for shut down
    10) way to short of course
    and the list goes on
    Why dont you post a picture so everyone here can see for themselves so you can not just sit there and say that its just me?
    You tried but had no interest it was not just me, you even tried on scream and fly.
    You tried twice to meet people there and the first time 2 people showed up and left cause you did not show and the second time only you showed up so
    draw your own conclusion.
    They have produced some real fast racers like Donnie Little who won the SITC a few years ago. ( quote from unchained )
    Blarney Island did not produce donnie little
    Do you know what your problem is mark??
    YOU ARE STUCK ON STUPID!!!!
    If you want to spend time and money to have a boat race mark and hassclown828 this is the place, you can go to cloumbiaville MI where they use to have the drag boat races and put them on there. They would like for them to come back there but they need someone to come up with the $$$$$$$$ to do it. Nice place, lots of room,good boat ramps. No more excuses or pointing fingers now mark with a place like that. GET R DONE

There are no timing lights and no specific course length so guys who came from the west coast wouldn't like it.
    Guess who ?
    Nice Mark, you just couldnt resist could you.
    We race the crap out of our boats without lights at the river with no clocks.

Nucking futs
    I drove by Ski land about 9 months ago and its still undeveloped. That would be rad to take the boat out say on a friday night and lay down some passes.

GAWnCA
    You'd have to have enough property for the track and all of the parking and it would need to have the track far away from any homes because I've seen a drag srip get shut down for good because of the noise, and it was there before the homes were. I've seen a few real ingenius people build there strips next to railroad tracks, that land can usually be had at a bargain and nobody can say anything about the noise unless they also quiet the trains
    What do you consider enough property? As for far away from housing, how about 3 miles to the nearest neighbor and 25 miles to the nearest town, St. Joseph and the Missouri River. There's also gambling there.

sstjet
    Like Unchained said, Blarney Island! I run there every week. Its a blast. Its not sanctioned, and not timed. Its like street racing on the water. We do have all the safety and everything like the rest of the races, dive teams, recovery boats etc. We run back to back, and you cant pull your boat out of the water, or even make changes between rounds. Its truly run what you brung. If your ever in the Chicagoland area over the summer, come check it out!
    Blarney is a blast and draws a huge crowd every week! Not much down time between races either.

Unchained
    mark mark mark
    That is what you wanted to do for a race,
    1) no lights
    True
    2) no saftey boat or equipment
    Not true, We had multiple volunteers with boats
    3) no holding rope
    True
    4) boat ramp wayyyy up river
    About 1 mile, same as at Blarneys
    There was a boat ramp right in front of the bar but it needed some work There was a private ramp at the end of the course
    5) like a 4 mph current in river ( could be fine with proper equipment )
    True
    6) starting line under a bridge that was small and concrete
    Not true
    7) river WAY TO NARROW!!!!!!
    Not true, It was plenty wide.
    8) plus trees growing into it on the sides bad
    There were some trees to trim but not a deal breaker.
    9) river had a dog leg in it bad for shut down
    Over 1 mile down stream
    10) way to short of course
    Not true
    and the list goes on
    Enlighten me
    Why dont you post a picture so everyone here can see for themselves so you can not just sit there and say that its just me?
    Ok,
    http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/a...leracesite.jpg
    We intended on taking off right at the bottom of the picture and running an 1/8 mi course which would have taken us just to the bar on the right side.
    Detroit Jim and I probed the bottom for 1 mile down stream in April and it looked good.
    You tried but had no interest it was not just me, you even tried on scream and fly.
    You're right, looking back I should have just saved my efforts and gave up before I tried. Like you.
    You tried twice to meet people there and the first time 2 people showed up and left cause you did not show and the second time only you showed up so
    draw your own conclusion.
    We had several guys meet there including the bar manager who already had the DNR permit.
    They have produced some real fast racers like Donnie Little who won the SITC a few years ago. ( quote from unchained )
    Blarney Island did not produce donnie little
    Have you ever been to Blarney Island Scott ?
    Have you ever RACED at Blarney Island ?
    Do you know what your problem is mark??
    YOU ARE STUCK ON STUPID!!!!
    True, I've been stupid before.
    If you want to spend time and money to have a boat race mark and hassclown828 this is the place, you can go to cloumbiaville MI where they use to have the drag boat races and put them on there. They would like for them to come back there but they need someone to come up with the $$$$$$$$ to do it. Nice place, lots of room,good boat ramps. No more excuses or pointing fingers now mark with a place like that. GET R DONE
    Did you ever see the proposed race course in Allendale Scott ? I mean in person.
    I never saw you there when the rest of us met but you had plenty of negative things to say about it. Must be ESP.
    None of this matters for you Scott because you never would have showed up to race anyways. If you had any interest in how to make it work you would have showed up at the meetings.
    At the main meeting we had I showed up as a jet boater.
    Detroit Jim showed up as a Vdrive racer.
    All the rest were outboard racers.

Mile long lake with steel canopies Kind of sounds like Ming :idea:
    Hey Brian whats the word are they going to drain and dredge it ? or is that just a rumor? Tom
    rumor

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast