Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Boat drag strip

Goad
    I know of a piece of land here....in newberry springs.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...&t=h&z=16&om=1
    My grandfather bought this land in the early 70s to farm alphalpha and struck a gold mine...his cut was so pure they were farming it for santa anita's race horses.....on a piece of land he wasnt using he ended up putting a double wide on the bluff and cutting a lake and making it a family get away...the family stories of this place are priceless.
    the lake is already cut out....just needs to be lined with clay and filled....i dont know how the county handles water rights now, but my grandfather owned the rights to pump striaght out of the mojave river water tables. only down side is you gotta pay the electric bill for the pump...the proceeding owner shut off the pump upon recieving his first bill and the lake has been dry since the early 80s. The only problem i see is wind....its in a commonly windy area....which in my opinion makes is an undesirable location.
    I have kicked around the same ideas of making a race lake with full amenities, but its out of my scope of my capabilities, but would love to see it happen and wouldnt mind being a part of making it happen.

Unchained
    Columbiaville would no doubt be the best place in Mi to run.
    I went there several years in a row in the early 80s.
    It was incredible good racing. Two or three day event with racers coming all the way from Ca to run there. Gordon Paggett's was one of the fastest TFH teams.
    That was the first time I saw a TFH carry the left sponson for about 1/2 the track. I thought...... "that dude has balls-o-plenty !!
    I talked to a seasoned racer who was there every year and I asked him why the races stopped there. He told me that they had to pay off every government official and his brother to be able to put on the race at that site. So money killed it as usual.

DetroitJim
    There is no way Columbiaville will happen. There are mega dollar houses all along the old course, the ramps are broken down and overgrown with trees. I was just there last summer.
    What killed it for the most part was the lawsuit from when Alex Hiller in the "Hairy Canary" went out of control into the crowd. That boat is why the rule came out banning blown v bottom jets. The lawsuit is why the Michigan Drag boat association went under.
    DJ

mark i wish yu all the luck
    we are tring to do the same thing in hamilton ohio on the great miami river
    getting the money is one thing getting the support is like pulling teeth
    good luck
    steve

Placecraft Dragstar
    There is no way Columbiaville will happen. There are mega dollar houses all along the old course, the ramps are broken down and overgrown with trees. I was just there last summer.
    What killed it for the most part was the lawsuit from when Alex Hiller in the "Hairy Canary" went out of control into the crowd. That boat is why the rule came out banning blown v bottom jets. The lawsuit is why the Michigan Drag boat association went under.
    DJ
    Well the president of MHB was talking to them last summer and the officials of colubiaville told him that they would have the races there again if someone wanted to put up the money to have them. Take it for what its worth, just telling you what he was told.

We have gravel pits dotting the greater Chicago area, most are full of water, and look like a skiers paradice. There are some that could even be considered usable for drag boat racing. I could'nt image the hoops to jump thru to make that happen.:idea:

widowmaker
    I know of a piece of land here....in newberry springs.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...&t=h&z=16&om=1
    My grandfather bought this land in the early 70s to farm alphalpha and struck a gold mine...his cut was so pure they were farming it for santa anita's race horses.....on a piece of land he wasnt using he ended up putting a double wide on the bluff and cutting a lake and making it a family get away...the family stories of this place are priceless.
    the lake is already cut out....just needs to be lined with clay and filled....i dont know how the county handles water rights now, but my grandfather owned the rights to pump striaght out of the mojave river water tables. only down side is you gotta pay the electric bill for the pump...the proceeding owner shut off the pump upon recieving his first bill and the lake has been dry since the early 80s. The only problem i see is wind....its in a commonly windy area....which in my opinion makes is an undesirable location.
    I have kicked around the same ideas of making a race lake with full amenities, but its out of my scope of my capabilities, but would love to see it happen and wouldnt mind being a part of making it happen.
    I'm all for it!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345