Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? for American Turbine Man

Jetaholic
    Out of curiosity, has there ever been a test done to see how much more water an AT split bowl can flow vs. a standard JC bowl? Or do you have a set of flow #s for the AT split bowl and flow #s for a JC bowl?

American Turbine Man
    We have never compared our bowl to the Berkeley JC. However we did test our bowl against the Berkeley JG in 1990. I will try to attach the files to this post, if it doesn't work you may call me and I will e-mail the file to you.
    It has been my experience that if you take a boat that runs at least 80 MPH with a Berkeley JG bowl and replace it with an American Turbine bowl you will pick up 3 MPH.
    ATM Ron
    I can't upload the file it says its too big.
    Call me 800 622 JETS

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    What causes a dramatic speed increase? Is it the ammount of water that flows through the bowl? If that is the reason then why do people people choke down the nozzle?
    Spitter

BrendellaJet
    Good post, I have been wondering this lately. Were the bowls stock? or were they blueprinted? or was one stock the other blueprinted. Just curious to see if this was an apples to apples comparison., and how did you go about testing this? Would love to see pics if they exist.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    <------waiting for info

IMPATIENT 1
    aren't most a.t. bowls 9vane? that's gonna flow alot more thru it than a standard berk split.

Josh@JBP
    None of the American Turbine bowls are 9 vane, those are the Aggressor Bowls.
    I've been lookiong and looking for the paper with all the numbers(table with rpms vs flow, side by side) from the test Ron faxed me a while ago, and for the life of me i can't figure out how i misplaced an awesome piece of info like that. But for now here is an old post Ron put up
    Our bowl was designed and tested in ATP’s Haliburton Flow lab. For those that don’t know in the beginning American Turbine Pump Company was our partner. This lab is used to test deep-well turbine pumps for agricultural and industrial pumps. This lab is very accurate, it is temperature and pressure compensated (like a dyno) so when you come back weeks or months later you can create the same test conditions. Our bowl was tested with our impeller actually pumping water. We used a Berkeley JG bowl for our baseline test. The final results were that the Turbine bowl flows three percent (3%) better than a Berkeley. In real world comparisons we have determined that if you have at least an eighty mile per hour (80 MPH) you will gain three miles per hour (3 MPH) with a Turbine bowl. If you don't get favorable results it most likely is low suction pressure (you are running out of water) from the greater flow from the bowl.
    Dominator and Turbine bowls have been pressure tested to 600 (psi), that should be good to about 3000 hp. I’m sure the bowls will take more pressure our little Hy-Pro pump would not go higher.
    ATM
    IMHO if the AT bowl flow more water, that would also mean the bowl flows the same amount of water more effeciently.

I don't think that just because a pump/bowl combination flows more water it's better. It takes HP to move water and the more water moved the more HP req'd. It's probably more about finding the right combination of pump and engine.
    I think the fine tuning nozzles and the like are so the pump is more likely to be full of water vs. cavitation.

Jetaholic
    I don't think that just because a pump/bowl combination flows more water it's better. It takes HP to move water and the more water moved the more HP req'd. It's probably more about finding the right combination of pump and engine.
    I think the fine tuning nozzles and the like are so the pump is more likely to be full of water vs. cavitation.
    Exactly! The cam is to be matched to the pump...it's all about finding that perfect combo.

Jetaholic
    None of the American Turbine bowls are 9 vane, those are the Aggressor Bowls.
    I've been lookiong and looking for the paper with all the numbers(table with rpms vs flow, side by side) from the test Ron faxed me a while ago, and for the life of me i can't figure out how i misplaced an awesome piece of info like that. But for now here is an old post Ron put up
    IMHO if the AT bowl flow more water, that would also mean the bowl flows the same amount of water more effeciently.
    Here it is. Ron emailed it to me yesterday.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1197748291
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1197748291

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast