Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat H beam rods 4 BBF 460

2savage4you
    Ok whos got the info on these rods, Good bad whatever, thinking about using a set for my new BBF 460 build:idea:
    Thanks
    2sav

IMPATIENT 1
    i read on a car site they're ok but balance is way off(i know for a fact the procomps are), some of the bushings were too tight.
    save for a month longer, get eagles or scats.it winter time man, ya got plenty of time

Jetaholic
    Ok whos got the info on these rods, Good bad whatever, thinking about using a set for my new BBF 460 build:idea:
    Thanks
    2sav
    I take it Jim never came through on the deal?

Ryan00TJ
    i read on a car site they're ok but balance is way off(i know for a fact the procomps are), some of the bushings were too tight.
    save for a month longer, get eagles or scats.it winter time man, ya got plenty of time
    I agree. Go with ESP or Scat. I just had my new shortblock assembled and used ESP 3D H beams. They were within 1gram difference per rod out of the box.
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9...rodslf9.th.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?i...eamrodslf9.jpg)
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/606...ods1qw8.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?im...amrods1qw8.jpg)

VAMI
    I think there good for the money.Would not want to turn 9500 or make a bunch of power with them but Id take them in a heartbeat over some 25 year old stock rods.I have seen worse competition products has some cracked powderd rod that a customer brought in to hone the small end.These things looked awfull.

BOOGEYMAN
    I ran a set of CAT H beams in my small block 360 in my street duster for 3 years and they were great! I turned 7,000 with them and made 700hp with a little bottle. Sold the engine but tore it done before I did and everything still looked great!
    Travis

IMPATIENT 1
    I think there good for the money.Would not want to turn 9500 or make a bunch of power with them but Id take them in a heartbeat over some 25 year old stock rods.I have seen worse competition products has some cracked powderd rod that a customer brought in to hone the small end.These things looked awfull.
    must be procomps under another name. i bought some procomps last yr trying to save a buck tried to slide the je wrist pin into em, not gonna happen i thought, well its dry, try alittle assembly lube/oil, still wouldn't go in. i borrowed my bud's paint scales and there was a huge difference between the heaviest and lightest rods(over 6grams). i sold them to another buddy for 30 less than i had in em(he ended up taking them in for sizing), bought eagle h-beams with l19's and the weight was within 1.5grams heavy-to-light, je wrist pins slid right in as expected
    some will say, ahh hell they'll get balanced when the rotating assembly does, but anytime you've gotta remove 6-8grams off a rod, it ain't a good thing ,shit gets weaker

2savage4you
    Thanks guy's
    So far everyone i have talked to about them that have actually used them, liked em. I have had these for a little while now waiting to rebuild my BBF and just wanted to get as much feedback on them as possible.
    But the real truth will be what the machine shop say's:idea:
    I was even thinking of taking them to work and check the weight of the rods just to see if they are off and by how much. Yep i think i will
    Thanks
    2sav

LakesOnly
    2sav,
    As I recall you are building 550 hp or even way less than that, right? Regardless, if you already have them then I think they will work fine for your mild engine build. No my first choice in rods but once fully spected and prepped by the machine shop, you ought to be just fine.
    I certainly don't tout the CAT products as top rate or run around recommending them, but depending on the component of theirs that you are using, the quality varies big time. Basically, at the time of this writing it seems that if the component in question has moving parts (roller rockers, waterpump, etc) the parts don't seem to be worth their lower competetive asking price. On the other hand, solid hunks of metal (such as rods) seem to be okay, but the money saved may later be spent at the machine shop for reasons such as those posted above.
    I've had a set in my jet boat for years now, 5400 rpm, 20-30 seconds at a time. That's what I had in front of me and they checked out, so I used them. No problems as of yet, and of course no garantees on your future experience.
    LO

Blown 472
    Buy a set of K1's, made by a guy that used to work for Carillo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast