Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride plate

is there any reason I should not use stainless
    to build my ride plate?

Jetaholic
    is there any reason I should not use stainless
    to build my ride plate?
    Most ride plates are made of aluminum (you probably already knew that)...which is a lot more flexible than steel. This flexibility will make it much easier to set the ride plate angle without having to drill "a bunch of holes in it"

IMPATIENT 1
    go for it, sucker will be strong

Jetaholic
    go for it, sucker will be strong
    Unlike a BBF

IMPATIENT 1
    Unlike a BBF
    it obvious you've never owned, operated or built a bbf
    rideplate warpage is a constant battle if you don't reinforce them. i doubt a stainless would warp much. and i'm sure getting a good ride plate angle can't be that tuff with stainless but then again i've never tried too.i build mine with 1/4 plate alum.

UBFJ #454
    Stainless is brittle i.e.; it does not have good shear strength so I wouldn't use it. Note too that no one uses stainless to make v-drive struts or rudders because of its brittleness and ride plates take far more of a beating than they do.
    I prefer using 1/4 inch 7075 T6 Al 'Tool Plate', not the more common 1024 Al.

BrendellaJet
    Stainless is brittle i.e.; it does not have good shear strength so I wouldn't use it. Note too that no one uses stainless to make v-drive struts or rudders because of its brittleness and ride plates take far more of a beating than they do.
    I prefer using 1/4 inch 7075 T6 Al 'Tool Plate', not the more common 1024 Al.
    Im gonna disagree with your analysis of the v-drive parts taking less abuse, as well as the statement that struts & rudders aren't made with stainless. Fact is they do make them with stainless and they take a hell of a lot more abuse than a jetboat can dish out.

I was planning on using 1/4 inch 7075
    and add 4 strips spaced evenly across the plate
    then started looking at a piece of 1/4" stainless
    plate:idea:
    I'm not an engineer but if a stainless impeller
    is stronger than an aluminum one.....
    my last ride plate is warped both ways and pitted
    just aft of the shoe

Unchained
    Stainless would be great material to make it out of. You could drop down to 3//16 or thinner material thickness and still be way stronger than aluminum.
    Stainless is not brittle. It is a very tough material and it is hard to machine which is why it is less desirable than aluminum which cuts like butter.
    Drilling and tapping holes in stainless is a chore. Slow speeds and cutting oil will get the job done but its squeeling all the way and putting out blue chips.
    V drive prop shafts are made from a stainless alloy and that has to be the most highly stressed part in any boat.
    A 90 degree bend in a press brake will cause a fracture in 1/4" thick 6061 aluminum but stainless will bend just fine. 303 aluminum will bend better.

cyclone
    Stainless would be great material to make it out of. You could drop down to 3//16 or thinner material thickness and still be way stronger than aluminum.
    Stainless is not brittle. It is a very tough material and it is hard to machine which is why it is less desirable than aluminum which cuts like butter.
    Drilling and tapping holes in stainless is a chore. Slow speeds and cutting oil will get the job done but its squeeling all the way and putting out blue chips.
    V drive prop shafts are made from a stainless alloy and that has to be the most highly stressed part in any boat.
    A 90 degree bend in a press brake will cause a fracture in 1/4" thick 6061 aluminum but stainless will bend just fine. 303 aluminum will bend better.
    Bingo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast