Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauges Auto or Marine?

dunerking
    Restoring the families old jet,and I need a set of guages.My question is do I need a marine guage set or can I use a set of automobile guages?I know that this may be a dumb question,but I would like to do it somewhat right.Thanks for any help.

If you stay marine you don't have to worry about them filling up with water. (or fogging up)

Jetaholic
    Restoring the families old jet,and I need a set of guages.My question is do I need a marine guage set or can I use a set of automobile guages?I know that this may be a dumb question,but I would like to do it somewhat right.Thanks for any help.
    I used marine gauges and I highly recommend them. I've had the bow dip and water wash right over the bow deck a few times and right over my gauges and thanked heaven for having maring gauges for that reason. They're sealed to keep the water out of them...they won't fill up with water or fog up.

brad22
    Marine gauges are specifically made to be used in the boating environment, I wouldn't settle for anything less. Marine gauges are sealed and made from non-corrosive components. Same thing goes for you distributor, starter, and carburetor. It will always payout in the long run.

Jetaholic
    Marine gauges are specifically made to be used in the boating environment, I wouldn't settle for anything less. Marine gauges are sealed and made from non-corrosive components. Same thing goes for you distributor, starter, and carburetor. It will always payout in the long run.
    Thank you!!! It's a boat, not a car!
    When I rebuilt mine I went marine on everything...gauges, switches, starter, alternator, fuel pump, carburetor, distributor, ignition box...these components are made not only to withstand the water environment, they're also for safety reasons as well. The marine electrical parts on the motor all have spark arrestors on them to prevent a possible fire as well.

speedymopars
    The other thing about marine gauges - you can get them measuring stuff you wouldn't have with a car (so you can actually have matching gauges).
    Trim and water pressure come to mind.

Jetaholic
    The other thing about marine gauges - you can get them measuring stuff you wouldn't have with a car (so you can actually have matching gauges).
    Trim and water pressure come to mind.
    Can you get ones that measure pump shot duration?

franky
    Can you get ones that measure pump shot duration?
    Yes they are called "ego meters".

Jetaholic
    Yes they are called "ego meters".
    Wrong pump

dunerking
    Everyone,thanks for the great info,marine it is.Look like I will have to check in with Rex Marine for some guages!Thanks again Hot Boat crew!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast