Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ski Racing Question - Boat Classes???

mondorally
    Can someone give me a generic breakdown of the different classes? I briefly read the rule book but would like to hear from a different source.
    Most beneficial would be to list common boat/motor combo's for the various classes in addition to the rules/restrictions.
    Finally, I have a 22' Schiada with a powerglide/#3 drive. Would this boat qualify for the Stock Boat Division? What motors are allowed? All I read is its limited to 502" for a Chevy and no mods to the factory installed carbs or injection or outdrive.
    Thanks!

dirty old man
    I drove ski race boat years ago and we had both age/sex classes and a few boat classes such as stock day cruiser and jet. There is a national ski race site here, look it up. In those days, circle racing was limited to 21 foot boats, and marathon/Catalina was 39 foot, but there have been changes. The very best ski race boats back then were Schiada, Rayson and Hallett

mondorally
    I was checking out NWSRA.NET but was curious about some of the rules and hoping for some references/insight.

W.O.TMarine
    classes you could run with that boat are any age men or women, if it has back seat, carpet, and motor cover with no motor mods stock boat. social, (short ski 90' rope) hand out frount( race ski 200' line) pro social ruling on ski and 120' rope) must put sociall skis on in water. maybe unblown prop. and posible stock boat day cruiser.
    for more info pm your # thanks

mondorally
    classes you could run with that boat are any age men or women, if it has back seat, carpet, and motor cover with no motor mods stock boat. social, (short ski 90' rope) hand out frount( race ski 200' line) pro social ruling on ski and 120' rope) must put sociall skis on in water. maybe unblown prop. and posible stock boat day cruiser.
    for more info pm your # thanks
    Thanks. Curious - what motors are considered stock - Mercruiser 496? 496HO? 500HP?

W.O.TMarine
    up to a 502, 525 hp. basicly no blowers, turbos, and big abvouse after market external parts. but big CI is ok in stock boat in stock day cruzer i think the limit is a 502

reb939
    mondorally:
    What type of races are you looking to get into marathons or circles?

mondorally
    mondorally:
    What type of races are you looking to get into marathons or circles?
    Not sure. Doing research right now. I used to race rally cars (Group 2) and have the race bug again. I have a 22' Schiada I would like to use and hope once its setup I could run all season without huge maintenence bills.

Halvecta
    Thanks. Curious - what motors are considered stock - Mercruiser 496? 496HO? 500HP?
    Mondo-
    The most important rule for stock class ends up to be: "Maximum attainable speed will be 70 mph."
    This means the boat cannot run WOT at over 70 mph with no skier in tow. This is the primary limiting factor. All others become secondary.
    Keep in mind, there are slight differences in rules for marathons vs. circle races.

mondorally
    Mondo-
    The most important rule for stock class ends up to be: "Maximum attainable speed will be 70 mph."
    This means the boat cannot run WOT at over 70 mph with no skier in tow. This is the primary limiting factor. All others become secondary.
    Keep in mind, there are slight differences in rules for marathons vs. circle races.
    So hypothetically I could rebuild my 468 to "stock" specs as specified as long as the boat runs under 70mph. I don't necessarily have to run a 525hp or a 496HO?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast