Thread: Trailer Bearings?

Super D
    Who here services their bearings each season? Do they need to be removed, cleaned and repacked - how often? I usually just give them a shot of grease in the bearing buddy thingies before the new season, but this will be the ninth season - want to be prepared...
    What do you folks do?
    Thanks!

RitcheyRch
    I take mine to a local guy and get them serviced each season.

HocusPocus
    i take care of mine every year.. much easier to do in the driveway then on side of the highway.

DeltaSigBoater
    I think it depends on how much you tow. Our boat spent a month at the shop (no hurry), and I redid the everything bearings, new hubs, new breaks (drums), because it hadn't been done in 9+ years. I just made damn sure that the races were pressed in the hubs before I paid for them.

Cas
    I grease mine just before I launch. When the hot hubs/bearings hit the cold water, there's a vacuum effect, the hot stuff sucks the cold stuff right in.
    As far as taking them apart, I do that at the beginning of each year just to check and get my hands greasy

Super D
    So how hard is it to service them myself? Scale of 1 - 5, how difficult is it (1 is easiest)??? What do you use to clean them?
    Thanks!

Cas
    if you have the tools (big screwdriver, channel locks, rubber mallet) and some basic mechanical skils, probably a 2-1/2 on the first one, less after that. You will need to get new grease seals so it would be a good idea to look for a number on the old ones prior to taking them out. You should also replace the cotter pin in each wheel that you will find after removing the bearing buddy.

Super D
    Cool - Thanks. I have a trailer guy that says he'll do it for $135. I may just do that for the peace of mind and time factors.