Thread: Dual pattern vs. Single pattern cams??

Q-ball
    Stock 455 olds, 7qt. mildon pan, rewarder headers 18 ft. berkley jet, stock camshaft. I just got a performer manifold and am trying to decide between a .472"/.496" dual pattern or a .490"/.490" single pattern. My question is with the open headers do I really need a cam that holds the exhaust valve open higher and longer? It seems that with no restrictive exhaust system I don't need it. Also, with the .490" range of lift on both of these cams, will I need adjustable valve train, Edelbrock says no. I know somebody will post "call Mondellos" but I also trust your opinions too. I'm on a budJET so if I can run this combo to short bursts of 4600-5000 rpms with my stock pushrods, and rockers, I would be very happy, remember this is NOT some bad ass drag boat, I'm just looking for a little more power than stock. What about the shims in JEGS that say they reduce lifter preload by 30,60,or 90 thous. I know it's not the top notch way to go, but will it work? Thanks, Q

Q-ball
    Come on guys, stop ignoring me, I wont go away. Any help is appriciated. Q

mrgoslow
    i used to have an olds & i think your safe w/o the adjustable valve train but damn close. i ran comps 280H i think it was 490 lift with no problems on all stock valve train.

djdtpr
    I would run a duel pattern cam they tend to make alot of torque in a naturally asperated motor especially a fairly stock one.Ucan buy adjustable pushrods from isky for that olds they arent to pricey and a hell of alot easier than trying to shim the stands.

Beavertim
    Hey Q-Ball,
    No comments on the cam, but I wanted you to know I pass though your town every summer on my way up to McCall Idaho. What's the name of the lake just north of you on US95? Looks like a great lake to ski on. Unfortunately I don't tow the boat on those summer trips (1100 miles), otherwise that lake looks real inviting. You're fortunate to be so close, I have to drive 300 miles to get any good skiing (Parker strip, Mohave etc.). Enjoy your summer. Tim

Q-ball
    Thanks for all your help guys, Tim check your E-mail. Later Q

Q-ball

Q-ball