Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 460 Milkshake!!

Hallett19
    ..... and it was running so well!!
    Ran out of gas on tank 1, went to switch to tank two and I see some milky oil on the valve cover Pull the dipstick and pulled out a cafe late. It actually was not too bad, it wasnt full of water but small traces of milk on the dipstick... I also had a significant amount of water in the transom, like WAAAYYY more than normal!
    So I have a few questions for you guys, it had been over a year since I had even started it, could water have accumulated in the motor? There does not appear to be a whole hell of a lot of water in it at all. I know it could be 1 of many things, front timing cover, head gaskets, intake maniford gasket, cracked block, cracked head, etc, etc. Where do I start?

78hallett-ss
    if its just in the valve covers dont sweat it... condensation can build in there...

Hallett19
    There was some leche on the dipstick though

GottaJet
    I had the timing cover issue. A small hole in one of the little corners I almost didn't see it. Changed the cover and no more milkshake knock on wood :hammer2: just my .02

UltraJet
    Not sure what kind of setup you have but if you are running OT headers with a basset T valve the valve itself could be the problem. It might just be a simple plumbing problem.

Hallett19
    Nope, running Holman Moody logs. I'm going to pull the timing cover first and look for wear/corrosion and move on from there.

Compression check?

Hallett19
    Compression check?
    If the timing cover looks good that is the next thing I will do, that might help decipher whether its a head gasket or not, ha?

Thats what I was thinking.

asch
    You need to run a leak down test. That'll tell you if there's a problem. Compression test alone won't do it. Either way, get that oil out of the motor. Change it a couple times or more if necessary. It's probably nothing big.
    Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast