Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when buying a used jet boat?

thehookerman
    What are some of the things you need to look for on a potential purchase and what questions should you ask the seller before you buy and if you cant get the boat in the water for a test run what should you do??

IMPATIENT 1
    What are some of the things you need to look for on a potential purchase and what questions should you ask the seller before you buy and if you cant get the boat in the water for a test run what should you do??
    PUMP TYPE AND CONDITION.CHECK THE FLOOR AND STRINGERS FOR WEAKNESS.HOURS ON THE MILL,LAST PUMP REBUILD DATE,SO ON.ANY PREVIOUS HULL REPAIRS. REMEMBER ALOT OF BOAT ARE PAINTED TO HIDE REPAIRS(MINE IS,BY ME).

Cas
    1. is initial price in your range
    2. hull make/condition
    a. check for stress cracks, if there's a lot, stay away.
    b. was the hull painted, find out why. The hull may have been damaged, fixed and then painted. Since you don't know how it was fixed, I would shy away from it.
    c. bring a 4 ft long straight edge to check the bottom for hook and/or rocker. The way to do this check is to lay the straight on the bottom of the boat from the transom forward. If there is a gap between the bottom of the boat and the straight edge, the boat has hook. If the straight edge "rocks" the hull has a "bulge" that is referred to as rocker. This is very important as the bottom is one of the most difficult areas to repair.
    d. bow flex, were there any supports/bulkheads removed under the bow?
    e. check the transom and stringers for rot - this can be tough to do since both areas should be covered in fiberglass. Look closely in areas where there are thru bolts ie: motot mounts in stringers, where pump hole is cut.
    f. check the keel line - lots of scratches or worn out areas mean the boat was beached a lot.
    3. Interior condition, not only the upholstery but check the frames for possible rot.
    4. Interior wiring/gauges
    5. Engine condition - fire it off and listen. If I'm looking for a project, this engine sometimes isn't that important as it'll be freshened up anyway.
    6. Pump - crawl underneath and look at the impeller, any damage visible? chunks out of the impeller means there are issues inside. Check the oil for water and check the driveline the best you can.
    7. Cables - make sure the steering wheel turns freely, the forward/reverse and the throttle cables move easily.
    7. Trailer - overall condition, tires, wheels, do the hubs have bearing buddies, lights, and wiring.
    8. Price - what's the asking price and how much will I need to put into it to make it a good solid running boat?

sidewound
    Pull the handhole and check for play in the shaft.
    Up, down and fore and aft.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

GUGS102
    Put water IN the boat on the trailer and see if it leaks. Water from the control cables fittings etc. is usually an easy fix. Cracked epoxy on the intake or other major issue you can't see when its in the water. If you can take a shower under it, pass.

Moneypitt
    If the boat isn't ready to use, a test ride or drive, find out why. Alot of jet boats have scattered the engine internally and the owners have done a "not so bitchen" motor repair and know it will break if hammered. I would not pay over 2K for any boat that I couldn't ride in and/or drive prior to purchase, unless it was being sold as "minus motor" and was totally puss in and out. This is after all the above post's recomendations as to what to look for in the hull and pump. I hate to say it, but there are people out there getting screwed on boat purchases everyday, and when they find out, well, they'll attempt to screw the next guy. My son cut up a boat with a chain saw and threw it in the trash because it was a death trap, and my family still to this day will not tell me who sold it to him. That guy needs a lifetime limp really bad. ..............MP

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Check your bank account because your going to drain that biotch :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

And guaranteed 70 means 55? Sorry, couldn't resist......

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    buy on from ebay, theyre all 100mph boats :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
    Don't take "turn key" too mean much. It means different things to different people.
    Ditto... assume the engine is about to puke a rod through the side of the block. If it doesn't you'll pleasently suprised. Even if someone hands you a "build" sheet, don't think for a minute that it was for the engine in the boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast