Hi all,
Here's my setup:
Ford 460, Bassett short tube water injected, berkeley jet. Holley red fuel pump w/ regulator set at 4.5 psi.
Quick history on the problem:
Boat ran great for a full season, then I had a mishap with a bad fuel cap seal and got water in one of the tanks. Discovered the water issue while out on the water Drained and flushed both tanks and the whole fuel system, fixed the bad fuel cap seal, and we were good to go for a long weekend at the lake, ran about 5+ hours without a hitch. Next time out, ran well for about 45 minutes, then started having a problem with it running strong for about 90 seconds, then would stall. Would not start up again for about 3 minutes, then would repeat the same pattern (as we're desperately trying to get back to the launch from the furthest point on the lake!!).
I had thought I ended up with water in the fuel again, so I pulled the fuel line off the carb and ran it into a clear container, where I would see the water collecting on the bottom, however no water this time. Went ahead and completely flushed out the fuel system again, and out for another test.
This time, it's even worse: idles just fine, no missing, and when i get out past the no wake zone and start to plane it out, it backfires, and dies. Turned around and idled it right back to the dock.
so i guess my question is... HELP!!!