Thread: How tough?

78Eliminator
    Is it to install a Place Diverter?

Liberator TJ1984
    shouldn't take longer than a 12 pk....

Jordy
    If you have a split bowl pump, the diverter takes about 8 nuts/bolts to install. You then need the steering extension, if you are running a hydraulic diverter, you have to mount the pump, run the hydraulic lines to the cyl. on the diverter, run the wires to power and a switch to the dash. For a manual diverter, you need to run the cable (either way hyd. or manual, you are drilling holes in your hull) and mount the lever either on the floor or on the stringer depending on what style you get. Seems simple enough right?
    Jordy

78Eliminator
    jordanpaulk:
    If you have a split bowl pump, the diverter takes about 8 nuts/bolts to install. You then need the steering extension, if you are running a hydraulic diverter, you have to mount the pump, run the hydraulic lines to the cyl. on the diverter, run the wires to power and a switch to the dash. For a manual diverter, you need to run the cable (either way hyd. or manual, you are drilling holes in your hull) and mount the lever either on the floor or on the stringer depending on what style you get. Seems simple enough right?
    Jordy Guess I'll just do it myself then.

Screaming Pete
    78elem, if you are going to control it from your steering wheel you have to have the helm drilled by someone that has done a few (pro.marine) or have a cord going to a switch that wraps around the helm as you steer your boat.I think hands on the wheel maybe important in your ride. just my .02

LVjetboy
    Yep, I went with the cords around the wheel thingy. Not as bad looking as I thought originally, kinda gives it that "real racer" look, an added benny for us amateur bench racers:

Ignore the other ugly wires and screws in pic...taken in the middle of rebuild. I did dual switches for looks, works with either, but hitting both up or down at once makes the pump go a tad faster. Less electrical resistance and all I suppose. Hitting one up and one down makes it do nothing. Like two cats fightn' in a bag. Just some useless trivia for your amusement.
    The wires around the steering thing doesn't resist turning much either. And with the trim switch orientation, you'll know before you startup if you're straight. Overall, I'd say the steering trim switch is one of the best upgrade I've done so far. One of those things you say, why didn't I do this sooner?
    These switches compliments of Rex.
    jer
    [ September 24, 2002, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

77charger
    Liberator TJ1984:
    shouldn't take longer than a 12 pk.... more like an 18 pack here

Mohavekid
    Just put one on a Berkley "e" jet about a month ago. Nothing was "difficult" it just took some time to do it right. Figuring out where to mount the hydraulic pump and running the wiring took the most time. Took about 6 hours total.

Nubbs
    I did mine about 2 months ago. The installation of the actual diverter itself is pretty easy, even though the instructions from Place are poorly written. Installing the stringer mount control and cable was the most time consuming part. I did a few extra things that made my installation take longer. Mine was on a Dominator pump. What pump are you installing yours on?