Thread: Water pressure

Snorider
    I hear a lot of you talk about installing pressure regulators on your pump inlet to restrict the flow to your engine to save gaskets etc.
    My question is: Is that necessary? My boat has no regulator, nothing. Just all 5/8" tubing with no valves or anything. Comes out of the pump, splits, one to each log, then to the water inlet on the intake, then back to the logs, and out the boat. I have no water in the oil, just a lot of blowby (which isnt water-related). When the boat is running, it feels like there is not much pressure on the hoses, i can collapse them by hand, yet my temps are 130-150 while cruising @ WOT, and when i slow down to idle after a hard run the gauge rises to 175...
    Oh, its a 460BBF , berk pump if that helps.

HammerDown
    If I were you I would be concerned with the wide spread of water temps as well as the pressure. I cant see how gaskets can last with the metal always expanding and contracting can be a good thing...and not to mention condensation issue.
    Most standard (auto)pressure systems are regulated with a Radatior cap at 12-15 psi...not saying that head gaskets cant take higher pressures but what a jet can put into the Block psi wise could at any time be to much and cause a problem.
    Install a pressure guage at the intake manifold and see what kind of psi is hitting your block at a hard holeshot and WOT.
    I have one line going in and 2 coming out...with a Rex Thermostat...I'm always at 160 temp and never see anymore that 8-10 psi in the block.
    PS. no regulator on my ride...controlling my psi with the 2 dumps, that ='s happy block psi
    [ August 09, 2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

sleekcraft76
    yea hammer i have a rex thermastat and i love it sounds like that is what he needs.

HammerDown
    How ya doing Mike...
    Not only the Rex (by-pass) thermostat that dose help to lower pressure some...but also another way to reduce block pressuer, whether it be with a regulator or 2 dumps out the back.

LVjetboy
    Hammer, nice avatar.
    Snorider, I think Hammer's right. Most jets, if plumbed well, will not need a regulator or relief. Not that a regulator or relief won't work fine, just that they don't really need them.
    The exception may be when you get to big hp engines...
    This because idle flow can be critical. As power goes up so does pump pressure at full throttle. Without a regulator or relief, you need a valve or inlet restriction to limit maximum block pressure. But restricting inlet with line size or valves means less idle flow. Another approach to limiting block pressure is bigger dump lines or more of them. The size and number of dump lines also affects block pressure, as will any valves or restrictions (recommended by one web site, not me) in those dump lines. Even so there's a limit to what dump line size can do to reduce block pressure...without modifing the block.
    At some hp point (not sure where) inlet pressure at full throttle may need restricting below levels acceptable for idle cooling. At that point a regulator can allow full idle flow but still regulated full throttle flow no matter the engine power level.
    So I don't think you need one.
    jer