Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling System

Frosty_pop
    I have seen and have my boat plumbed as per the Bassett diagrams..... my question is how do I plumb it with a thermastat? All the housing have 3 lines out, where do they go?
    Thanks,
    Frosty

Taylorman
    What kind of thermostat do you have. The correct one for a jet should have 4 outlets.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    using a thermostat in a jet boat application is a bad idea. when the thermostat is closed the pressure can rise as high as 40psi in the block. A very good way to get water in your oil and blow head gaskets.

Frosty_pop
    Think I got it...... thanks, the housing I need has 2 outlets and 1 bypass......

Frosty_pop
    OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
    using a thermostat in a jet boat application is a bad idea. when the thermostat is closed the pressure can rise as high as 40psi in the block. A very good way to get water in your oil and blow head gaskets. That's what the bypass line is for.... when the thermo is closed all the water goes to the overboard....no pressure in the block......

Frosty_Pop, use only a thermostat setup designed for jet boat use. They can be purchased from Rex Marine, CP Performance and others. They will have 4 ports, two are water out and two are bypass ports. These connect to the water ports at front of block. I cannot stress enough that you use a jet boat specific setup!
    They look like this:

Frosty_pop
    I only have one water bypass line on my inlet cross over

ive been told numerous times by good sources not to run one of those thermostats either the 4 port one or the other one.but we ran one on our hot rod river boats trouble free for 15 plus years. lots grey area here.

Our thermo as pictured above works excellent on jets. Have sold thousands of them. Same one CP sells, we make em.
    Don't ever run a thermo though without a properly designed bypass to circulate water while the thermo is closed. Simply drilling holes in the thermostat without the bypass style housing will not work properly. This situation is where you will burn the exhaust up and overpressurize the engine.

Frosty_pop
    Thanks Rex, I'll be ordering one from ya soon....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast