Thread: 460 questions

BrotherWolf
    Okay I just picked up my first jet boat its a 1979 21' tahiti day cruiser... my question is
    1. If I want to pick up another 460 Motor can I use one out of a pickup?? is there any diffrence between a marine 460 etc???

GTUnit
    Yes you can. The blocks and head castings are identical.
    "Marine" refers to the marine specific internals in that motor (cam, ect) as a package.... not because the casting is different.

LakesOnly
    Okay I just picked up my first jet boat its a 1979 21' tahiti day cruiser...If I want to pick up another 460 Motor can I use one out of a pickup?? is there any diffrence between a marine 460 etc??? The Ford 460 engines were manufactured from 1968 to the mid-90's or so.
    1968-1978 were internally balanced engines, and 1979-(end of prodution) were externally balanced engines.
    1988-up are FI motors with new/dedicated head & manifold combos. The blocks are the same but the cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds must be kept as a set (will not interchange with carburetted heads/manifolds unless the carb version heads/manifolds are also kept as a set).
    Generally, the 460 block and heads used in the passenger car/light truck engines are the same as the marine 460s, in that they would be same block and head casting numbers for any year that both marine and auto engines were produced.
    The marine engines were equipped with: CJ-style cast iron intake; D3VE heads without drilled smog pump passages; different than normal valve springs, retainers, and had spring seat cups like Boss 351 or CJ. The hydraulic cam is much like the original SCJ camshaft; CJ/truck-style connecting rods with the football shaped rod bolts; fully grooved main bearings. The head gaskets are probably the Fel-Pro marine 17068 with stainless steel fire ring; pistons are the standard cast dished 460 piston with 24cc dish (exception: mid-1980's King Cobra marine 460 had forged flat tops), front sump pan with windage tray a la CJ, etc. As far as your locating an engine, it would be best to determine if you have an internally balanced or externally balanced engine (yours is on the cusp of the changeover). This way, the replacement engine is a bolt-in swap with your existing flexpate, etc.
    LO

Xpertz Solution Ltd is a leading educational services organization providing a new generation of counseling and placement services to international students from all around the world.Xpertz Solution is an International Education consulting organization with excellent credentials that provides value-based services to both International Institutes and aspiring students worldwide.

460 questions

This here is, instead of making a new topic, the place to put your simple questions that can be and most likely already have been in the 5000 posts in this topic answered with a sentence or two. Please

460 questions

We have noticed a lot of posts here which are actually tech questions rather than tricks & tips. This forum was set up to collect those gems of knowledge without losing them in the huge Tech thread.

Weve moved a few - if you see any more, please use the "Report Post" button and we will put them in the Tech section where they will undoubtedly attract more attention and answers