Thread: V drive bad vibrations.

wright on
    Hi guys, Any body want to run down some scenerios, that would make my boat doing the bad vibration.
    I have done the following to it. Ran a sand bar last year.
    I replaced a prop shaft and rudder. Bronze prop did not get replaced.
    Running a 10 degrees Casale, Do not no what gears. A paragon Tranny with reverse to a BBC Blower Motor
    A safety collar was installed on the prop shaft right before the strut. I am going to pull the prop off and have it tested as I should have done the first time. It's a 3 blade prop.
    So I guess I would like to have some experienced opipions on what else could make it Vibrate. The Casale Internals? Drive line? Safety collars?
    V drives are in my blood help me out. Please dont let me get stuck with a Jet boat.

VD CRUISER
    A few things that will cause vibrations are: bent shaft, bent or out of balance prop, 2 blade prop, worn strut bushings, bent or out of balance drive shaft, worn universal joints. If you're running a blown BBC DON'T run a bronze prop, the blades are likely to break off and cause much damage. You need a steel prop if you are running faster than 65/70 mph. Also don't run a safety collar in front of the strut, it will keep water from getting into the strut bushing and wear it out prematurely. Check your strut bushing for wear. This should be enough to get you started.

wright on
    thanks VD Cruiser. I will look into getting a steel prop this week. It's a Sanger mini day cruiser. And I might be pushing 70. Also the Bushing was replaced along with the shaft. A Good run down list to start. I have never had anything like this happen and just cant fanthom a whole boat vibrating as such. Again thanks for the reply

v-man
    I found out on the boat I have on my avatar that it had a drive shaft that was long enough that it needed a center support. We are running a harmonic balancer and a balanced flywheel. The drive shaft to the velvet drive had been balanced. But we had a vibration that was still there. So we took the prop off and put a new one on. It was still there. Talked to all the v-drive gurus in Havasu and found out the the shaft to the prop needed a center support. The boat is a 20' Sanger with twin chevy 350's velvet drive tranny and velvet v-drive.

wright on
    V-Man, That scenerio must of driven you crazy. 's amazing how many things can be attributed to the condition. Even after you replace thingsIt My drive train was good last year, And I put the same size prop shaft back on. angle alignment was dead on. I was going to take it real nice and easy the first drop in the water as I was told to let the everything properly seat, I was just unaware I wouldnt be able to push it past idle. I will change my prop and start the process over again. So are you dialed in how is it running now.

v-man
    Little vibration is left in the drive train. That was due to pilot error. I dinged the prop on the trailer and I am in the process of changing propes. But I had a prob with my water pump last weekend. the front engine ran real hot and the back one was fine. Found out yesterday that the rubber impeller eat itself up. Pluged the water hose up to the house and it ran fine and cool. Going to test drive it out on the lake this week. Let me know how your project is going. Good luck friend.

wright on
    Just an update changed out the prop and only a slight vibration remains. It feels good. I suspect that it is normal vibration. It's hard to compare since I do not have a lot of seat time on the couple of seasons with this boat.

VD CRUISER
    Are you using a 2 blade or 3 blade prop. The 2 blades tend to vibrate.

v-man
    good point. i forgot to mention that. that does make a big difference. two blades do tend to cause more vibration

wright on
    vibration does seem to be at low rpms gettingup on plane. good info on the casale box. I will be getting mine freshened up this winter.