Thread: Trailer Bunk Wood...?

HammerDown
    kiln dried Douglas Fir, Cypress or regular PT from Home Depot?

supersoaker509
    I use PT from Lowes. My Baja trailer was done 7yrs ago still going strong.
    3yrs on the firehawk look new.

Midlake Crisis
    I used the green PT lumber from Home Depot on both my trailers, no probs so far.

advantage21
    Ditto on the PT i did my bunks 4 yrs ago and still going great.

Aluminum Squirt
    Plastic wood (trex) or teflon sliders work pretty well but its relatively flimsy and made need some more supports welded in. May not be so nice on a fiberglass hull though -Aluminum Squirt

Nubbs
    another vote for Home Depot or Lowes

Jetoholic
    Plastic wood (trex) or teflon sliders work pretty well but its relatively flimsy and made need some more supports welded in. May not be so nice on a fiberglass hull though -Aluminum Squirt
    Well...I guess that's out...

Cas
    kiln dried Douglas Fir, Cypress or regular PT from Home Depot?
    regular ole doug fir is just fine, just pick out some stuff with very few knots. Also, you don't want to treat the wood with anything just because you will not get complete coverage. Once the moisture gets through to the center of the wood via staple holes, bunk bolts or wherever, the wood will rot from the inside out.
    PT can and will leech the chemical (arsenic) into the lakes/rivers so it's not advisable to use that stuff.

HammerDown
    regular ole doug fir is just fine, just pick out some stuff with very few knots. Also, you don't want to treat the wood with anything just because you will not get complete coverage. Once the moisture gets through to the center of the wood via staple holes, bunk bolts or wherever, the wood will rot from the inside out.
    PT can and will leech the chemical (arsenic) into the lakes/rivers so it's not advisable to use that stuff.
    I thought PT stopped using "arsenic" years ago...?
    Now some kind of copper and other chemicals used. One things for sure, the PT wood I used from 84 Lumber 22 years ago was much better than the crap PT I used from Home Depot to rebuild my deck last summer...the new PT is splitting and cracking all over the place and I pre drilled every fastener hole, and a few boards even show mold!

Cas
    Ray,
    Until 2003, the arsenic or actually chromated copper arsenate was one of the main ingredients (so to speak) in pressure treated lumber. Since then, other chemicals are being used more but as a builder, I still have to give the consumer a sheet warning them of the potential dangers in using PT lumber. It still includes the use of arsenic, how much? who knows.
    People can buy PT that is made just for use in salt water but there really isn't a need. Most of the bunks that are being replaced these days are standard #2 Doug Fir with nothing but carpet on them. Most have lasted 25 to 30 yrs before needing replacement.
    Personally, I see no reason someone needs to spend more than necessary, endure possibly more pain (PT slivers hurt!) for the bunk material. Using regular doug fir will last longer than most people will have the trailer.