Thread: Locking-up of the Reverse Bucket

gotdamp
    This has happened to me a couple of times. I have a Glastron/Carlson CV-23 with JE pump and new hydraulic Place Diverter. When I accidentally find a sandbar or a shallow beach, and suck up some sand, my reverse bucket gets stuck in the down position. I have to exit the boat (sometimes in a hell of a hurry regardless of how I'm dressed as I drift down the river) and manually work the bucket with my hands to free it up. Is this just the nature of the beast with sand or is something out of adjustment? Any similar experiences or suggestions other than to stay out of the bars?

HighRoller
    What usually happens is a small rock gets stuck in between the arm and the side of the nozzle or some gunk gets into the forward reverse cable right at the boot.If you get a chance take the forward/reverse cable out of the flange and spray it liberally while someone else moves the lever back and forth.Then let it drain for a sec and put it back on.

HighRoller
    Oops,I meant when the boat is on the trailer do this,spray it with lube like wd-40.As far as the rock thing,a screwdriver will pop it out.

spectratoad
    Always try to dress properly
    Usually though that is just what sand does. Also try to make sure that sand does not gather in the impeller area. I just wiped mine out. Just get it cleaned out as best as possible and then maybe let it idle in clean water to try to clear most of the sand.

Cas
    to add a little to that. If you're getting enough sand and little rocks to jamb up the reverse bucket, I'd definitely check the motor to make sure you don't have a lot of sand build up in the water jackets. If you do, you can get into some major repairs such as a cracked block.
    Be sure to flush that puppy real good.
    [ July 31, 2002, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Cas ]

sandblasted
    Check out American Turbine's website..They claim to have a new reverse bucket that won't sandlock...