Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I screwed up on this break in.....now what?

dgie
    Not in my boat but instead a chrysler 400 in my 72 plymouth Satellite anyways I broke in my new rebuilt engine and I forgot to change the oil after initial break in first 30 minutes or so. I actualy drove it for a little while maybe 2oo miles or so, some hwy. I am thinking that the lobes on the cam are flattened, because of the lifters tapping, so that will have to be changed out. Is there anything else that this can damage? piston rings etc? big oops on my part, but how bad

dgie
    sure is quiet in here :sleeping:

cobalt 222
    i dont think it would be from the oil.i always run my oil after break in for a while.if its not missing maybe just have a bad lifter.try using rotella t oil.it has an additive to held cam life.all the other brands took this out.i have ran it for 2 yeasrs in my boat with no problems

justfloatn
    If a lobe went flat you have more problems than needing a new cam. That metal will have wiped out every bearing in there.

centerhill condor
    dude, just change the oil and drive the thing!
    CC

dgie
    I am just thinking that it might be a flat lobe, hope not though. I do want to verify it. I have a dial indicator from a cam degree kit I have had for awhile. What is the best way to use this to check for a flat lobe? Straight off the cam, off the lifter, off the rocker? If it is a bad lifter, then just change lifter or cam and all? When I broke in the engine, I did not use cam break in additive, and just straight 30W Valvoline.

If you don't want to pull the intake off, just pull the valve covers and see if all rockers are rockin. If you did wipe a lobe or 2 I would pull some/all of the bearings like someone else mentioned. If you lose the same lobe on 2 cams then you have a lifter bore issue, most likely.

obnoxious001
    When I broke in the engine, I did not use cam break in additive, and just straight 30W Valvoline.
    Why would you do that? My first guess is that you have ruined the cam. If you did wipe out the cam, besides needing new cam and lifters, plan on tearing the engine apart and checking bearings. Even if you got lucky and didn't wipe out the bearings, you probably should pull the whole engine apart, wash the block and start over. Make sure everything is clean, and use some good quality cam lube both on the lobes and the lifters. I am not as superstitious about oils as others, but you might want to use Vavoline racing oil for the break in, since it is supposed to have the good additives still, and is probably easy to find at a parts store.

sidewindingfool
    First off a bad lob will not make a lifter tick it would have hade to ware out the base circle but some lifters have a little tick to them what type of lifter are they a high bleed down type that help low end power we need all the info of brand and type of lifter. did you have the heads rebuilt did they get the valve stem tip hight corect

Fishbone
    I am just thinking that it might be a flat lobe, hope not though. I do want to verify it. I have a dial indicator from a cam degree kit I have had for awhile. What is the best way to use this to check for a flat lobe? Straight off the cam, off the lifter, off the rocker? If it is a bad lifter, then just change lifter or cam and all? When I broke in the engine, I did not use cam break in additive, and just straight 30W Valvoline.
    Pull the intake remove pushrods and lifters. I use a magnetic base dial indicator and check each cam lobe lift and compare to cam specs. My cam checked out to be exact or + .001 - .003. It was a Comp Cam, need I say more. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast