Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I screwed up on this break in.....now what?

dgie
    I think that I am going to pull the intake and check the lobes like Fishbone mentioned, If not I will only be guessing at what could be wrong. I have good oil pressure, so I am thinking that the bearings are not shot. If I find a lobe out then I will have no choice but to pull the motor. I have to make sure that I do not mess this motor up, the car is a numbers matching mopar.

dgie
    was told that since I did not prime the engine for initial start up I may have messed up a rod bearing, which is the knock I am hearing. Now what?

deltaAce
    Check the oil for metalic particals.....

dgie
    yep I see some metal in the oil, not sure how much if any is normal after a fresh rebuild has been run for a little while though. Also, I should add that when I run the motor, the tap or what ever it is is loudest at low RPM's and seems to diminish when I raise the idle. I read that you can isolate the problem cylinder by removing the plug wires one at a time. I tracked it down to the #5 cyl. When I remove the plug wire the tap does not fully go away, but instead gets a little quieter. When I hook plug wire back up it comes back.

cobalt 222
    Pull The Head Off And See If Something Is On Top Of The Piston.probaly A Main Or Rod Bearing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12