Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil filters

kenneth n
    Who makes a good iol filter for a 502 MPI?.

cobalt 222
    mercruiuser filters only

justfloatn
    Here is a link to a oil filter study
    http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
    Purilator pure 1 is the best filter out followed by Mobil 1 and Motorcraft.
    After reading this you will not put a Fram on anything!!! JUNK.

ck7684
    System 1

Jordy
    After reading this you will not put a Fram on anything!!! JUNK.
    Really??? I've seen Teague engines in brand new DCB's with Fram filters on them in lots of pics in boating magazines trials over the years. Must be doing something right. Granted I've never been a Fram fan. We sell them by the hundreds at work to lots of fleets and haven't had a problem with ANY of them yet. I'm not a Fram fan by any stretch, but real world experience hasn't shown me anything worse or better than any others out there.
    I've always run Wix or K&N on everything I own. Napa Gold filters are Wix with a different paint job.
    Oh, and that page you posted up is pretty much of a joke. Read the descriptions of the filters... Statements like "Could possibly allow oil to drain back" or "Will probably allow oil through" in the same page where he claims to only have hard facts??? Not a chance. Hard facts don't have possibly or probably anywhere in them.
    I know, you read it on the internet so it must be true.

justfloatn
    Really??? I've seen Teague engines in brand new DCB's with Fram filters on them in lots of pics in boating magazines trials over the years. Must be doing something right.
    Don't these motors only come with a 1yr warranty??? That is about one or two oil changes in a DCB. It spends 80% of it's life parked in the channel.
    Granted I've never been a Fram fan. We sell them by the hundreds at work to lots of fleets and haven't had a problem with ANY of them yet.
    Two words, marketing and price point. You have to install a cheap filter to be competitive in the maintenance business. Then up-sell up-sell up-sell
    I've always run Wix or K&N on everything I own. Napa Gold filters are Wix with a different paint job.
    So you're just here to pick a fight again then
    Oh, and that page you posted up is pretty much of a joke. Read the descriptions of the filters... Statements like "Could possibly allow oil to drain back" or "Will probably allow oil through" in the same page where he claims to only have hard facts??? Not a chance. Hard facts don't have possibly or probably anywhere in them.
    Agree, I just look at the filter media type and sq". Look at the FRAM again. Small amount of filter surface.
    I know, you read it on the internet so it must be true.

Jordy
    So just here to pick a fight again then
    What's the point of that??? I'm tired of slapping you around as there is no challenge in it.
    If you read the rest of that "fact based" study, you'll find that out of ALL the filters that were torn apart, EVERY filter that wasn't Fram, or had Fram dimensions, so he assumed were Fram, were highly recommended, and the Fram and ones he thought were Fram were highly not recommended. :idea:
    What a joke of a study.
    p.s. if you understood how little of the oil in the engine gets filtered on a regular basis anyway, it would blow your mind.

justfloatn

Jordy

Great retort.
    You post up a link and make a statement about how you should never run a Fram filter after reading something that is clearly so anti-Fram right out of the gates. Either you don't know any better, or you're not smart enough to get the big picture from that review.
    For the volume that they do annually, they must be doing something right or they would have gone out of business long ago. The filters we sell to fleets go out to annual bid, but also have a performance clause in them. We're talking school buses and garbage trucks, so they're heavily used and abused, and again, we've had no issues with them. Same thing with OTR fleets. Million miles on some of these trucks having run nothing but Fram filters.
    You're better off just hanging out in the nut-swinging threads rather than coming down here and showing how much you don't know.

justfloatn
    I agreed in my first post it was a bias report, but I mainly like the information on the internals of the filters. The fact FRAM has a cheap filter is proven by your own statements on the number of "fleets" that use them. If that is want you want to run on your boat be my guest. Oh that's right you don't use FRAM.
    Finally my response is that most of the time I just don't feel the need to retort to a bored self proclaimed geniuses who has nothing better to do with his day than bounce around three websites correcting grammar and telling everyone how smart he is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast