Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windage Tray ?

Taylorman
    Im rebuilding my 455 and am wondering if I should use a windage tray or not. One person told me that it could break. Has anyone had this happen and should I use one or not?

78Eliminator
    Taylorman:
    Im rebuilding my 455 and am wondering if I should use a windage tray or not. One person told me that it could break. Has anyone had this happen and should I use one or not? I haven't heard about windage tray breaking in cheby motors. Are you planning on running at WOT for long periods of time? They are designed to keep oil down in the pan instead of all over the bottom of your pistons at high rpms.
    I think that the most important thing you do if you are rebuilding your Olds, is to fix all the oiling inadequacies.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    definitely use it. The windage tray helps keep the oil off the crank and in the pan where it belongs. In a boat application where high rpm's are turned for extended periods of time I wouldn't go without one. The only time I have ever heard of one "breaking" is when someone I knew tried to use a stock windage tray with a stroker crank. You figure out the rest. It will help the oiling and might free up some hp too. simple answer use it.

BK
    OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
    definitely use it. The windage tray helps keep the oil off the crank and in the pan where it belongs. In a boat application where high rpm's are turned for extended periods of time I wouldn't go without one. The only time I have ever heard of one "breaking" is when someone I knew tried to use a stock windage tray with a stroker crank. You figure out the rest. It will help the oiling and might free up some hp too. simple answer use it. I agree completely. I didnt put one in my BBC a few years ago when I built it, I thought baffles and trap doors would be sufficiant. If I got on the gas after about two or three seconds my oil pressure would drop of to nothing. I checked my dipstick and had bubbles in the oil, put a windage tray in, problem solved. Luckily no damage was done to my motor but I wouldnt build a motor now without one.

sidewound
    Use one!!!And anything you can to adress the oiling problems in the Olds. If someone's telling you about one breaking I would guess it was a fluke or a poor installation. I just had my 455 built and used one.
    As stated, it will help with the oiling issues the 455 has, and increase HP. With a FULL tray you are keeping the oil on the bottom. Crank wiper options are also available. Since the crank isn't having to plow through the oil, you create less drag = MORE JUICE! If you are doing a total build consider all the options to cure the oiling problems. The tray is probably the LAST thing to consider in your quest for longevity. Many other issues are bigger and more noteworthy. Lots of info here on the olds thing. If I can help let me know.

LakesOnly
    I vote for the windage tray. Period.
    It is an excellent safety measure, and also helps horsepower somewhat by reducing parasitic drag.
    LO

Badboat1
    For sure windage tray keeps the crank from windaging the pan dry and it is HP for sure.Thats why they have dry sumps.But for sure allways check rod and crank to windage tray clearence.
    Badboat1

GlastronGuy
    Using one here. That and another "scraper" between the oil pump and the block.

kp216
    Taylorman - You might want to check out this thread...
    http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=10846

Sleek-Jet
    kp216:
    Taylorman - You might want to check out this thread...
    http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=10846 It's nice to see that they all get along as well as we do here.
    So, what's the verdict here. Windage or no? I'm getting ready to assemble the 350 Olds, would like to know also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast