Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windage Tray ?

Wet Dream
    I would.
    [ April 18, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Wet Dream ]

kp216
    [/qb][/QUOTE]So, what's the verdict here. Windage or no? I'm getting ready to assemble the 350 Olds, would like to know also. [/QB][/QUOTE]
    Sleek-Jet - From what I've been able to see over there, after searching other related topics, the windage tray is a bad idea. Here is a quote from that thread... " The tray does not allow the oil to reach the sump, especially at high rpm. The oil coming off the crank as well as oil draining from the top end will reflect back up into the crank assembly and whip around with the crankshaft. This drag from the excess oil is what causes the HP loss. I have also found during track use in my circle track car that at the higher rpm's (6900 rpm max in this case) the oil tends to stay suspended in the crank assembly and does not reach the sump. This caused my oil light to come on at anything over 4900 rpm. I pulled the engine at the track and removed the tray and put the engine back in and had NO Further problems with the oil system. I now use a screen like the one I decribed earlier in my diagram."
    It seems that the racers/builders that are in the know, just use the diamond strippers and highly recommend that windage trays NOT be used on Oldsmobiles.
    Just throwin' this info out for people to make their own decisions...

GlastronGuy
    Interesting concept. I wonder what keeps the oil from getting to the sump? Does it sit in the top of the tray and the wind from the crank pick it up?
    In our 455 we run a 10 quart Milodon with windage tray and pick up sump. The pick up has a "compartment" built around it with one way "doors". The oil flows in but can't come out unless it's via the pump.
    This pan is for a 4 point mount but we got it to fit in our 3 point.

[ April 19, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: GlastronGuy ]

kp216
    Glastron - The way I'm reading everything is that if you run the windage tray (on the Olds that is) the oil drains back to the pan from the oil return galleys where it hits the windage tray. At this point, before the oil can drain past the windage tray, it's picked up again by the crank and kept in suspension. When oil is finally slung off the crank, it tries to drain back, where it encounters the windage tray again, and the process starts over. That is until such time as the crank slows down enough to allow the oil to drain past the tray.
    It looks like the diamond stripper will allow the oil to drain past it quickly, and when oil is flung off the crank, it passes straight through the screen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12