Thread: 460 Top-Mount Starter Woes

piezzi
    My starter chewed up my flywheel, so we changed the flywheel and my Dad had the starter rebuilt. It's a top mount w/ external solenoid for my 460 Ford. Pops also repalced the solenoid.
    When we went to test the reinstalled starter, the starting mechanism remained engaged with the fly wheel despite letting the key move back to the 'on' position. So we checked the wiring, which looks fine, and I swapped out the ignition switch only to get the same results. I reinstalled the original ignition switch and now it will turn over and start up, and turn off just fine.......until I get the RMP's up a little and then I can hear the starter engage with the flywheel again and the engine won't shut down using the ignition switch.....only by disconecting the battery.
    I'm thinking it's likely my starter still has some issues, but wanted to get some opinions. What do you think?
    PS: I'm new to the forum, but not to jets!

Nubbs
    I had my started stay engaged one time, but it was a mechanical issue. There wasn't enought clearance between the starter gear and flexplate.

TANGO
    Used to have this problem on some of the early BB chevys and they made a shim kit to lower the starter so it wouldnt engage.Seems to me I changed one on a 460 ford back in 89 and it was shimmed. Not many marine fords around here, all chevys. Tango

This starter is designed to "spin out" when the engine fires ,the fact that you've changed what you have as well as what info you've put forth here leads me to think the problem is in the recent starter bendix as there is no real depth engagement shim or adjustment like Chevy, Call if I can help you Tom

ONAROLL
    Be sure you have the steel backing plate between your block and bellhousing, its available at any salvage, its the alignment reference/spacer for your starter and you will have trouble until it is in place, this is a stock part on 385 series big block Fords (429/460) thin steel plate with the block bolt pattern, does not look like much but should solve your problem.....Vic

bp
    top mount starters are reverse rotation. make sure that whoever "rebuilt" the starter installed the correct bendix - do you have the old one to compare? that would be the first thing i'd check, because if someone handed it off to someone else, who handed it off to someone else, they might have skipped the part that it was a top mount marine reverse rotation starter.
    last october, my top mount finally gave up. took the thing apart, it was packed with rust and the bendix gear was toast. took me a couple days to locate the correct bendix but finally found one, put it all back together nice and clean and lubed, and it works great.