Thread: stuck lifter need your help

nordic4me
    Hey, need help getting out a stuck lifter! My 427 has a stuck lifter. After tearing it down we found it. I the roller rocker vibrated loose from what I gather, and it pushed it up like a 1/4 inch. I thought I ruined the cam, but the lobe looks just fine, the pushrod isnt even bent. Th roller is still in the lifter, and I can pull the lifter up about 3/8". I never messed around with this before, but are ther any special tools or tricks to getting it out? Looks loke the cam lobe is still fine, no metal I could find in the oil. I pried it upabout another 1/4 , and I can still move it back down. Any ideas on how to get this out?
    JB

TIMINATOR
    Pull the lifter up enough that it will clear the cam journals, remove the cam, push the lifter down through its bore and let it fall out the bottom. If it won't come up enough to clear the journal, use a die grinder ond grind the sides smooth to where it will come up higher, a pain in the arse, but it will work. If you force the lifter out its bore, chances are you will distort or gouge it and the lifter bore will need to be resleeved. TIMINATOR

cfm
    Solid or Hyd Roller ? Who is the manufacturer ?

Blue Thunder
    If it won't come out something is galled or score anyway and you will have to use a small hone on the lifter bore anyway. Not for the faint of heart, but I would clamp a vise grips to it and wiggle it out. May have to use a screwdriver to pry up on the visegrips at the same time you rotate the lifter. That's what I would do anyway if your aren't wanting to remove the cam as stated previously.
    BT