Thread: Yet another 455 Olds question

hkunz
    I'm slowing assembling my 455 that is now a 468. On the top of the block, in the lifter valley, is a plate that runs the length of the valley and bolts to the block with two bolts. It covers the large holes over the cam. I cleaned up the plate and painted it to aid oil drainback, but after i installed it, it seems that it may block oil returning to the crankcase. It also may be to keep oil from splashing up from the crankcase to the lifter valley. So, does anyone know?
    The motor is .060" over, Speed Pro coated pistons, relieved rods, Total Seal rings, Comp cam, block and heads modified for drainback, Melling HVHP oil pump, 10 quart pan, Masterlube accumulator, but pretty much stock iron heads. Single Holley vacuum secondary carb, Edelbrock manifold.

GlenCoeMiniDay
    Is it made from Aluminum??
    If it is made from aluminum then it is to keep hot oil from hitting the bottom of the intake to keep the intake coller for a denser fuel charge.

hkunz
    No, it isn't aluminum, it is stamped steel, and bolts to holes threaded into bosses cast into the block. We are the second owners of the boat, but the original owner dies 25 years ago, and didn't touch the engine internals, so i think it has to be a factory piece. The part fits so perfectly, I don't see this being anything but factory from 1972.
    It was suggested that I drill 1/8" holes over the cam lobes to let the oil drain back onto the lobes without letting too much splash up onto the manifold.

GlenCoeMiniDay
    Mondelo makes the piece that I have and it is aluminum you shold check it out on their website I think they show a picture of it it is VT 581.

hkunz
    GCMD, I couldn't find it on the Mondello site, but I drilled the plate I have 1/8" in the bottoms of the depressions, right over the cam lobes, then cleaned up the holes and knife-edged the bottoms. The motor is in the boat, so maybe next weekend it'll fire!
    I got it timed and primed, but still have a lot to do.

GlenCoeMiniDay
    Just be sure to prime just before you fire could have negative effects.
    I just had to rebuild the bottom end of my 454 in my truck because I thought I was Okay just swapping the cam and fired it and spun #8 rodbearing

GlenCoeMiniDay
    The valley tray is in the parts section under gaskets and sealers.
    Part #VT581