Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Johnson Outboard GT300

SleekcraftHouston
    The temp sensor will limit the rpm's that your engine's "computer" will allow to just over idle. The only sound that you would hear should come from a buzzer under the dash. It wouldn't make any different sounds from the engine though. It would keep your engine from turning more rpm's than the setting from the factory. Suzuki does the same thing and I assume that those two aren't the only manufacturers that do that.
    As for the molasses type stuff, that's probably oil that was inside your power pack to allow for cooling and corrosion protection. Calling a dealer or someone who works on these engines regularly would be your best bet for finding the parts.

Towndrunk
    The temp sensor will limit the rpm's that your engine's "computer" will allow to just over idle. The only sound that you would hear should come from a buzzer under the dash. It wouldn't make any different sounds from the engine though.
    OMC never had the temp fail safe idel control , just the buzzer warning sound or low oil warning back when those old v-8's were made. I'm not sure they ever have but I'm not an OMC guru.
    jechols, go to the man I posted on cause the help you're getting here, isn't.

Kim Hanson
    Ok guys I did the Compression Test today and starting from the top left down I got 120,120,115,115 and top right down I got 110,112,110,112, So I think I'm good there. I did notice it looks like molasses or something that ran down from the power pack onto the motor. I took the lid off and it smells really burnt. Is this my problem? If so where can I get a new one I looked and can't find the exact number. There is two sets of numbers on it, they read 583552 and just below 14HM-0A. Everywhere I looked I found some similar to the 583552 number but not the right one. All the sites that I looked up with the motor number did not list the one I have but only others. Maybe this is not the correct one for this motor and some one replaced it with the wrong one? The model number on motor is J300PXCCAG7748202. Oh yeah, is it a power pack or ignition module????? Also read somewhere to disconnect the temperature sensor wire and if I can go faster then it is the temp sensor is this true???
    I think I have a shop manual for my V8 and can see what the numbers are for ya. I have melted mine 2 or 3 times now, last time it would rev really good and giver to 3 grand and think maybe the trailer was still on shit. Once the heads were taken off it looked pretty bad, 6,000 bucks of melted block !.........( . )( . )....................

jechols
    Yeah if you could give me the numbers for it that would be great. Thanks

Kim Hanson
    Yeah if you could give me the numbers for it that would be great. Thanks
    Ignition System.........." CO " & " CD ".................
    Type........................Magneto Powered Capacitor Discharge
    Power Pack...............OMC P/N 581404
    Power Pack RPM Limit......6700 RPM
    Ignition Coil..............OMC P/N 582508
    Spark Plug...............Champion:
    Recommended - QL77JC4 @ .040 in. (1.02 mm )
    Alternate - L77JC4 @ .040 in. (1.02 mm )
    Sustained High Speed - QL78V @ Fixed Gap
    Alternate - L78V @ Fixed Gap
    Mine is a 275 pushing 340 HP @ the prop and she has pushed mine over 110 mph and that was during break in I use the 14.5 X 30 Chopper for everything ..........( . )( . )..........Nothing like the RUMBLE of a V8s exhaust just out of the water !

Towndrunk
    Mine is a 275 pushing 340 HP @ the prop and she has pushed mine over 110 mph Yeah, Kilometeres!
    and that was during break in !And thats why it's broken right now!:jawdrop:
    [/QUOTE]
    Just got back from 3 days on the Colorado river below Lake Havasu. I look like a lobster.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ageonriver.jpg

Kim Hanson
    Mine is a 275 pushing 340 HP @ the prop and she has pushed mine over 110 mph Yeah, Kilometeres!
    and that was during break in !And thats why it's broken right now!:jawdrop:
    Just got back from 3 days on the Colorado river below Lake Havasu. I look like a lobster.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ageonriver.jpg[/QUOTE]
    Its broke just cause, so there ! Sunburn eh, I hope someone smacks your back a good one YOC ...........( . )( . )..........How was the river anyways

Towndrunk
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ageonriver.jpg
    Its broke just cause, so there ! Sunburn eh, I hope someone smacks your back a good one YOC ...........( . )( . )..........How was the river anyways [/QUOTE]
    It was hot, very hot but the water was a nice relief. I'm thinking of moving over there. Surprisingly the wife didn't object, yet! Hows it going with you up in Canuck land? Bet ya can't wait for winter, eh?

Kim Hanson
    Its broke just cause, so there ! Sunburn eh, I hope someone smacks your back a good one YOC ...........( . )( . )..........How was the river anyways
    It was hot, very hot but the water was a nice relief. I'm thinking of moving over there. Surprisingly the wife didn't object, yet! Hows it going with you up in Canuck land? Bet ya can't wait for winter, eh?[/QUOTE]
    I am still waiting on Summer to come, have not been doing anything but working..........( . )( . )................

jechols
    I referenced the number on the motor and it says that my motor is a 1988 even though the title says 1989. But the power pack that I found says it replaces #0584035 583471 584034 584035. The number on mine is 583552 and the number that you had found in your manual didn't match any one of these. Is it not really critical to have the exact one??? The number you found in your manual from what I found is only good from 1985-1987 What year is your motor?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12