Thread: corroded distributor

wrenchdaddy
    Im running a 454 BBC in my '78 sadler jet boat. Its all forged, ported and polished. Im running a standard msd pro billet distributor and msd 6al ignition system. The whole engine and ignition is only 3 years old. Last year it started running like crap (backfiring, not idling, hard to start) Finally pulled the cap and the distributor itself was corroded and rusted along with the cap and rotor. I cleaned all that up, bought a new MARINE cap, that is completely sealed, no vent or anything and has a gasket around the bottom, and she ran perfect. Well now a year later I've got almost the same thing, the megnetis "paddlewheel" and magnetic pickup all rusted and corrosion on cap terminals. obviously its still getting wet, can condensation cause that much of a problem?? is there a drying agent I can keep under the cap to keep it dry in there??

HammerDown
    The old standby for moisture in a distributor is a little WD40...I spray mine down when winterizing and it looks all fresh and ready to go come boating weather.

nordictom
    You might want to give MSD a call. They might be able rebuild your distrbutor.

centerhill condor
    does the engine get "hot enough"?
    CC

wrenchdaddy
    No, it doesn't have a t-stat so the engine doesn't get very warm. It gets condensation in the cap pretty bad and doesn't burn it off. I was running it the other day and it started acting up, pulled the cap and it had moisture in it. I wasn't sure how to keep the moisture out, I have a sealed marine cap and a regular cap with the built in vent and they both do the same thing.
    I took my vented cap and connected a hose from it to a vacuum port on the carb, then put a gasket around the base of the dist to seal it. It almost pulls a vacuum but it has a tiny leak from the electrical grommet on the underside of the dist and therefore gives SOME ventilation to the dist cap. I ran it the other day like that and shes never run better, cranks on the bump of the key, idles perfect, and no hesitation.

centerhill condor
    I took my vented cap and connected a hose from it to a vacuum port on the carb, then put a gasket around the base of the dist to seal it.
    sooophisticated. :idea:
    CC