Thread: Boat Help

USMC1812
    Hi,
    I am an active duty Marine currently stationed in Idaho. Now that the summer is here I am looking to buy a boat. There are few here but, I have found this one. I do not know much about jet boats so I figured that I should ask an expert. The boat is a 78 Kona, with a 650 H.P. 502. It has a competition Berkley pump. The heads are ported and polished with new springs and retainers. It also has a Mekking oil pump and 50,000 volt HEI ignition. The trailer is a 77 coyote with new rubber. The condition of both the boat and trailer are supposed to be good. My questions are, what are your thoughts on this boat? What do you guys think that I should offer? What speed should I expect out of it? Who makes Kona boats, I have not been able to find any info on them. Does this sound like a good setup or am I going to spend more time working on it than running it? Thanks!!!
    Hope you can help!
    Doug Pinkerton

DickDanger
    Doug, first off, that sounds like a pretty nice setup. But, if you are new to boating, let me give you some valuable advice: plan on working on ALL boats...thats just the way it is. I would guess that if its putting out 600+ horsepower on a blueprinted pump, you should hit 80 mph + easy. If you are going to buy, ask him to take you out in the boat first. Check for leaks, any knocking, etc. If the guy is confident that his boat is solid, he should have no qualms about taking you out in it. Just my .02. -DD Out

canuck1
    Look for cracks/bubbles in the glass, soft stringers/floor/seats. if you can't put it in the water fill it up with water if it will hold water in it should also hold water out

spectras only
    Kona has been out of business for quite sometimes .They built 18/9/21 footers.The 21 looks similar to spectra/howard etc.... Like the other guys said,check for gelcoat cracks, especially around corners were stress factors.Check the stringers were they butt to the transom, there should be no gaps or cracks .Pull the carpet to check the floor for rot. Find a friend who's experienced around boats http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif for a thorough check .If the engine runs good ,just use it ,don't try to "improve it " until you 're familiar with it! Overall it's a quite good boat.Pull the valve cover ,many times this reveals some hidden agenda http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif.Happy boating!