Thread: 496 mag mods?

havasuaddicted661
    Is there any mods out there for the 496 mag that are worth the money for the mph/hp increase?

grads2112
    Is there any mods out there for the 496 mag that are worth the money for the mph/hp increase?
    One very easy modification is to take out the restrictor plates in the exhaust manifolds.

damdonzi
    I spent almost 5k on CMIs and got MAYBE 1/2 mph. If you have the factory aluminum exhaust it flows very well as is. Raylar seems to be the folks to turn to for 496 mods. Some are pro-charging them but I don't like the idea of putting an SC on a stock 496. I'm going to be looking to add significantly more hp in a couple of years and, frankly, everyone is telling me to lose the 496 .

Nice pic of the cmi's , they look great .they say up to 60 hp gains it seems like you should have got more perfomance .I had headers on my last boat an i got about 200 plus more rpm and I probably should have changed out the prop as well.just the headers 1+2 mph plus prop 3+4

Beer-30
    Pulling the restrictors out of the exhaust is the very first step and an important one. Not neck-snapping, but a noticeable improvement.
    The factory manifolds are usually cast iron. You're lucky if you got aluminum ones. The iron ones are restrictive and heavy. Going to ANY aftermarket exhaust is worth the HP and weight loss.
    Whipple has an ECM re-flash program and they have come up with two stages of power improvement. Check out their website under Marine. www.whipplesuperchargers.com
    Mine has responded very well to synthetics. I run Mobil-1 10/30, since it is at Costco. I put synthetic in the power steering and I only run Torco syn lubes in the drive.
    Other than that, not much else is really worth it. Supercharging is maginal, even at low (3.5) boost level. These pistons just were not meant to take it for a very long time.
    The Raylar kit is nice. At $8-10K, installed, you could pull your own heads and have them worked, upgrade the cam and rockers, reflash the ECM and probably be pretty close. Plus, you would have money left over for exhaust.
    There's a few options.

olmo40
    How old how many hrs have you done ? I think most people who hot up ,forget about reliability and never factor in a refresher program,If you got your motor honking which isnt hard only $$$$,i think you would find a new bigger motor a much better all round proposition.