Thread: my first 455

justjosh
    hello all, i just bought a taylor sj and it has a 455 with a berkely 12je with an A impeller and a place diverter. from what i can see the motor is a bone stock 73 to 76 smog controll motor with J heads and a stock intake, holly 650 and 5qt pan. im fairly certain thats not a good combo for the water. I dont really want to soop it up but i would like to make it reliable for family fun. any suggestions on what to do to the motor? and can anyone tell me how to post pics?

dm2bfree
    I have ferd 460 so I can't really comment on the motor specifics, but I would certainly get a 10qt oil pan keep the oil as cool as possible.. running a consistent 3k-5k rpm can heat the oil quick and reduce engine life with a low volume/truck pan..
    there's a few manufactures
    armondo's is highly rated around perfomance boats.
    http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/f...24/marine.html
    milodin also makes one..
    Also, the link below is a much more active site at the moment, you might get more replies there?
    http://www.performanceboats.com/html...play.php?f=115

rbulleigh
    I would suggest going to www.realoldspower.com, go to boat section.

Elimin8Jet71
    hello all, i just bought a taylor sj and it has a 455 with a berkely 12je with an A impeller and a place diverter. from what i can see the motor is a bone stock 73 to 76 smog controll motor with J heads and a stock intake, holly 650 and 5qt pan. im fairly certain thats not a good combo for the water. I dont really want to soop it up but i would like to make it reliable for family fun. any suggestions on what to do to the motor? and can anyone tell me how to post pics?
    I have been running my 455 jacuzzi combo in my '71 18ft Eliminator for 3 really hard seasons now....Have never had any motor problems.. Just don't hang the RPM's up above 4k for too long as the engine will starve for oil. The oil system on these motors aren't that great as it is slow to return to the oil pan. i would just get a grater volume oil pan if i were you and have fun with the boat...I have a home made 12qt pan on mine...

jetboat
    go to the taylor boat site TAYLOR BOAT ROOST here in texas and theres more than enough info to help you.

GlenCoeMiniDay
    I have the oil pan and pick up and maybe a high volume oil pump for an Olds 455
    10qt Milodon

TIMINATOR
    Call me during business hrs. I can help. TIMINATOR 623-877-8553

Boostedballs
    Start with grinding reliefs on the rods, google "mondello olds to go"

ck7684
    To post pics you need to upload them onto the internet someplace first. Then right click on the picture to access the properties, which will show the address. Copy the address to your clipboard. in the forum post just click the little post card looking icon and paste the picture's address there. That's all there is to it!!