Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorhome?????

johnny8052
    I am looking to buy a motorhome. I have heard that fleetwood and winnibago are the best, but how about gulf stream? I went looking today and saw the perfect floor plan (for me) in a gulf stream conquest. I was at mike thompson's rv yesterday and was told to stay away from gulfstream, (probably because they are competiors). The motorhome i looked at was a
    27' with 2 slide outs. I also heard to go with the ford e450 v-10 and not with the chevy any info on this quagmire would be greatly appreciated. Thanks........Johnny

MRS.TNB
    check out the classaf's over on P/B theirs a couple very nice ones forsale

boxscore
    I am looking to buy a motorhome. I have heard that fleetwood and winnibago are the best, but how about gulf stream? I went looking today and saw the perfect floor plan (for me) in a gulf stream conquest. I was at mike thompson's rv yesterday and was told to stay away from gulfstream, (probably because they are competiors). The motorhome i looked at was a
    27' with 2 slide outs. I also heard to go with the ford e450 v-10 and not with the chevy any info on this quagmire would be greatly appreciated. Thanks........Johnny
    I had a 32 Fleetwood Southwind Ford V-10. Entry level, 2 slides. In the end, not happy with the size, holding tanks included, nor the power. Ended up with a 40' diesel pusher. I get the same mileage.. about 10 mpg. Unbelievable difference in our enjoyment. My advice... find a used and good quality diesel. Country Coach, Monaco, etc. New gas 27' $60-80K. Used 38' diesel $80- 120K. You'll find it's value when you wanna use it a lot more... guaranteed. Good luck.

justfloatn
    The best advice you can get will be from mechanics and service advisors. The dealer will give you the low down on what they carry and an independent will tell you about all of them. Never trust the salesman just head to the service dept and talk to an advisor or the shop foreman if they will let you.
    I will say that Winnebago has the most advanced parts system and inventory ib older coaches for fixing a used one. In the motorhome world old is 5yrs, junk is 10yrs. Most of the smaller mfg's put whatever they can get on sale in the coach and they may or maynot carry the part two years later. They do not have to follow the 10yr law the auto mfg's have to follow.

revndave
    I have a 2002 35 Georgie Boy w/ 2 slides and on the Ford V10 chassis.I also have the Banks Power system installed.Its good for about 80 extra hp.I love my v10.Just can't get use to the high revving sounds.It sounds like an import.

08username
    I wouldn't disagree with Boxscore's advice. The problem with most of these smaller motorhomes is that they are built on a truck chassis. Then the builders mount a huge box on it, and the owners load it with tons of stuff. The weight renders the brakes barely adequate. I have a friend that was returning to Washington from South Dakota over the Rockies, and had to use a tractor-trailer, brake failure run-off roadway! Even when not crossing the big mountains, his rig just eats pads and rotors. His is a few years old, though. Maybe a new one would have a transmission with the tow/haul feature that my truck has. That feature is great when I'm hauling my travel trailer.

boxscore
    I wouldn't disagree with Boxscore's advice. The problem with most of these smaller motorhomes is that they are built on a truck chassis. Then the builders mount a huge box on it, and the owners load it with tons of stuff. The weight renders the brakes barely adequate. I have a friend that was returning to Washington from South Dakota over the Rockies, and had to use a tractor-trailer, brake failure run-off roadway! Even when not crossing the big mountains, his rig just eats pads and rotors. His is a few years old, though. Maybe a new one would have a transmission with the tow/haul feature that my truck has. That feature is great when I'm hauling my travel trailer.
    Monaco and Country Coach build THEIR OWN chassis'
    My Monaco 40' pusher has air brakes that are unbelievable in their performance. That's why I mentioned shopping for a "quality" pusher that has things like full air brakes and engine brakes. It's a different world from gas coaches. 32-36' gas coach is not fun to drive.

BoatPI
    My neighbor has a three year old COuntry Coach, diesel pusher 36'. Very nice, look at Country Coachs and all of the repos and old floks that cannot affort to run them at $4.00 diesel.

2forcefull
    I had a 32 Fleetwood Southwind Ford V-10. Entry level, 2 slides. In the end, not happy with the size, holding tanks included, nor the power. Ended up with a 40' diesel pusher. I get the same mileage.. about 10 mpg. Unbelievable difference in our enjoyment. My advice... find a used and good quality diesel. Country Coach, Monaco, etc. New gas 27' $60-80K. Used 38' diesel $80- 120K. You'll find it's value when you wanna use it a lot more... guaranteed. Good luck.
    someone needs to teach you how to figure gas milage.....LMFAO!!!!!

Tom N
    Call Winnebago Man for the best deals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast