Thread: sanger serial #?

wirsboguy
    I just bought my first drag hydro. I was told it was a 1976 Sanger Ski Hydro.
    Are there any serial numbers on the hull to help I.D. the boat?
    Thanks.

good question. i just sold my 76. heres the difference. 1st you know sanger drag hulls by on the deck, mainly called 5 rib youll see 5 ribs on the deck for streanghth. second youll have outboard steering and usually a single seater. now jack davidson owner of sanger sold drag bottoms with ski tops also , mostly were special order. the ski hydros had a 42 inch wide seating area for bench or 2 buckets. also the ski had inboard steering. check yours if you have a outboard steer with 42 in wide seating area its a drag bottom with ski top if inboard steer you got a ski hydro. the hin numbers on a 76 are on rt rear , pass rear side about 8 in from rear and 2 in from bottom. like mine some glass over it. why ill never know. shoot me a pic ill be able to tell you bu looking at it. the forst letters are the maker the last two numbers are the year for the hull. in 77 two versions of the hydro were made. the classic jr witch is the 18 ft and the banana bottom wich was a 19 ft. the hull dont look alike, older classics look good wide sponsons the banana were narrower. and longer . mainly because of the way they dropped back in the water at high speeds they god squirley. if you never drivin a hydro dont plan on making fast turns and it is the opposit of a flat when you get little rough water nail it it will fly over it. i love them wont buy anything but sangers. fyi get on performanceboats.com "better site hot boat burned alot of people". speak with billy b who worked for sanger and others who know them. call precision craft marine in fairfield , cal. speak to joe shelfo. nicest on earth and the greatest setting up hydros. if set ur right they are safe if not your dancing with the devil hope i helped

wirsboguy
    I'd love to send you some pic's, but can't figure it out on this site. Do you have a E-mail I can send them to? And thanks for the info.

hey saw your hydro on performance boats. nice boat. check the stringers for delamination look for dark spots and take a small ball peen hammer and lightly tap the stringer if it goes thus no prob if it sounds like tappin plastic then delamination. some is normal to much is dangerous. mainly when you bolt together you lock it all in so i wouldnt be to worried. a fellow had bad stringers and when they broke it was at about 80 mph he almost killed his passenger. find a hot boat shop and have them atleast glance at it to make sure your good. you know how some people half ass things. my hydro has the wrong rudder in it at about 50 it would have come out of the water and my ass would have been wet.. e mail me at deputyfamily3@sbcglobal.net nice boat