Thread: Winterize questions

FOXX
    I have a completely restored 1980 Sleekcraft Sportster with a new 330hp crate Chevy small block 350 with a Berkeley pump and was wondering what I should do to winterize my boat for the winter. I live in Oregon and it freezes often here and I don't want to crack my block. It dosen't have a radiator either so would I drain all the water out of it? If so, how do I do that? Should I remove the freeze plugs? The guy I bought it from said I should pump some antifreeze in the motor for storage in the winter to keep the block from freezing. What else should I do to winterize it? How about the fuel in the tanks? Do I keep them full with stabilizer or empty them? Thanks.
    FOXX

ck7684
    Here's what I do and I'm in Minnesota...I use RV antifreeze and get it into any place water would get into. Change the oil, grease everything that needs it, fill the fuel tank with fresh gas & Stabil, pull the battery out and put the boat away...hope that helps

nivels
    I drain all of the water, Pull the plugs on the block, disconect all hoses and use a wet dry vac and suck out any water left in. Most people put Stabilizer in the fuel, if you do that let the motor run until the stabilizer gets into the Carb. As for as the R/V antifreeze I don't use it because it leaves pockets of water which could freeze. I have a trickel charger on the boat so I leave it pluged in for the Batteries. I live in Mo and we have a differant because of the Eathanol gas

FOXX
    Thanks for the replies! I like the idea of the wet dry vac. Never thought of it.
    nivels, did you mean the spark plugs or freeze plugs? I'm assuming the freeze plugs but ya never know.

ck7684
    Oh yea...you can pull the spark plugs and spray in some fogging oil too...
    BTW, I've got logs n snails on a jetboat so I pour the antifreeze until it comes out the jet and also pour it into the log hoses till it comes out the tips. I put buckets under these to catch the overflow and I dont make much of a mess at all. I have used standard antifreeze before and then in the spring I run water through so I'm not polluting in the spring...besides, it can be reused even mixed with the flushing water

nivels
    Thanks for the replies! I like the idea of the wet dry vac. Never thought of it.
    nivels, did you mean the spark plugs or freeze plugs? I'm assuming the freeze plugs but ya never know.
    None of them. The water plugs on the side of the block.