Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Question

Onebadcat
    I have a 1975 Tahiti Tornado with a 455 olds in it with wet logs and snails. It has thru hull exhaust with rubber flappers, that basically do not cover the exhaust. I want to build new tips out of stainless, I am a metal fab guy, basically I want 4 inch slant cuts for it. My question is do I need the flappers or not, it seemed fine the other day when I had it in the water, do the snails cause a s trap effect? thanks for any help

I'll step in since you asked. It's a good idea to keep the flappers... you never know when a wake will push water up over the snails. I can't for the life of me figure out WHY you want to put offshore style tips on a boat so opposite that look. You're not gonna make it a wakeboard boat are ya?

Onebadcat
    I dont know I like that look, its kind of neat for me, looks more muscular. So you say it is for wakes pushing up through the snails? makes sense at sitting they do not look like they are doing anything. cool thanks for the heads up

I have them on mine. Last year, I found the inner flappers burnt up. Of coarse, this was after hydro-locking the motor 2 times. Didn't hurt anything, thank God, each time was at shut down. I now check them, every month.

Onebadcat
    well I found a set on ebay that gave the idea how to make them, basically i would have a rubber flap inside the slant cut tube. See i am real new to boats and really really new to jet drive boats, I love the idea of a jetboat, less moving parts and v8 power, easy to work on, as i am a trained auto tech as well so it is second nature sort of, except it has been 10 years since i messed with a carb and I rebuilt a Barry grant speed demon and cant to get it right for the life of me, any help on that would be awesome too

Cas
    I rebuilt a Barry grant speed demon and cant to get it right for the life of me, any help on that would be awesome too
    not to worry, you're not the only one unable to get a BG to work right. Summit Racing has dropped all the BG stuff due to too many issues with warranty and lack of customer service.
    Just get yourself a Holley and be done with it.

Onebadcat
    personally I dont think it is the carb, I think it is me not remebering what adjustments to make it run right. It idles awesome, except the idle set screw is all the way out and it still idles around 1200rpm, also it bogs on take off and when coming off throttle it stalls, like I said it has been like 10 years since I messed with carbs, lately it has been nothing but fuel injection I play with, so basically I feel total rookie to this right now.

I agree with Cas, ditch the BG. When I was considering a carb change I did a little research on tuning a Demon. They are not the same as a Holley (tune-wise) and good or bad, people have a hard time getting their head around tuning a Demon. If the customer service isn't there to help, why beat your head against the wall?

Onebadcat
    agreed but this is what i have curently, honestly the best luck i have had with carbs have carter or edlebrock performance. On my 72 vette I went through like 3 holleys, and finally got ahold of a edlbrock and never looked back. I bought this BG for $150, put $30 rebuild kit Its a speed demon minus the choke tower and a 850 cfm

TIMINATOR
    If performance is the goal, there are 2 sizes of snails, most olds motors came with the smaller ones. Install the bigger ones, also the later snails have a step in the outlet to allow use of either 2 7/8" or 3 1/2" exhaust tubing, you can cut off the step and use the big hose and tubing. Rex Marine will sell you the rubber covered flappers (you need them), and pivot axles by themselves. Call with any further questions. TIMINATOR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast