Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 75 MPH 600 +HP? Looking to go 80+

AMANGO
    Thanks for the info! The horizontal portion of the loader sticks down below keel i will measure it tomorrow and more then likely be modifying it so its slightly in the hole. The droop did pick up speed when installed. So changing the carb out to a 1050 probably would not do much over the 850? i did spend a lot of time porting the intake side of the heads/ polish the ports i did not open up the exhaust side. But it sounds like i need to stick to seating up the pump and ride of the boat before i go any farther with the engine. My Friends that have boats that run 90 mph say my boat rides/lifts out of the water at high speeds nice. But there boats were belt by pros I'm more of a do it your self guy. Theres no fun in going out and buying a boat that you did not build. Thanks For the help so far

I'm assuming the engine in your avatar is what we are talking about. The single carb TR, although they look cool, is holding you back. As Timinator mentioned, the a/f mixture in TR comes down out of the carb and hits the bottom of the plenum then has a pretty sharp bend to go down the runners. Air doesn't like to bend, that's why dual quads work better than a single (extra flow aside).... a straight shot down the runners.
    To get the most from those heads you will need to work on the exhaust side. This is the weak point in 385 heads and where you'll find the most porting bang-for-the-buck.
    You might also try wedges on your nozzle. Will they help? Maybe, maybe not. Every hull and setup is different. I'm just on the other side of the hill from you in Anaheim Hills, so if you need some local help, just holler.

AMANGO
    I will defently try a 2 and 4 degree wege. that dosent coast to much. im running a 850 Demon vac secondary if i add one more 850 demon vac secondary do you think this is to much cfm? The engine is a 11.2.1 comp ratio. And i was planing on porting the exhaust side before next seasion but i do have Lake elsonor for testing. I would like to add a ride plate does any one have one for sale? and how much Thanks "That is my engine in the pic"

Just adding CFM won't do much (other than use fuel). A good dual plane will more than likely outperform the TR setup you have now. Although they tend to use more fuel, I would consider going with a double pumper instead of a Vac secondary carb. Building and tuning an engine in a jet is different than in a car, so understanding the differences is crucial.

AMANGO
    I had a Torker II single plane on it before the tunnel ram. Didnot notice much change at all. Mybe a Perf. RPM air Gap or a Victor JR? I will try to set up the pump first. Weges and modify the loader.

AMANGO
    Just measured the horizontal portion of the loader and its below the keel line about 1" thats into the water.

Just measured the horizontal portion of the loader and its below the keel line about 1" thats into the water.
    If thats a true measurement, its not only slowing you down its flat dangerous ,and can cause severe handling problems (decel "hook" etc) ,also if not already , it (the loader/intake ) should be overdrilled & "thru bolted" with C'sunk black oxide 5/16 course bolts and nuts & checked frequently . re the Carb (850) your probably fine at this point IMO and I dont belive the 1050 would benefit you. RE the "tire spin" the loader depth could have some effect on that and as Tim said you might benfit from a "inducer" be advised to try to make subtle and singular changes ,As hard as it might be to make multiple trips to the water trying things you'll benifit in the long haul Tom
    **Thanks Tim ,just trying to help

AMANGO
    Thats good to know and probably explaines why the boat when slowing down pulls back into the the water hard. Makes sence i will take a good picture of the loader before the mod and after and then its time to go to the lake for a test run, And i will post the results after the test run. Im also going to order the 2 and 4 degree weges to try as well. Thanks a lot you guys have been a lot of Help so far its all starting to make sence!!

AMANGO
    Just modified the loader. Here are some pics i had to remove 3" of the horizontal portion of the loader to get it to sit in the hole an 1/8" below Keel. Sawsall worked good then reshape with a High speed die grinder.

frosted tips
    Although it's hard to tell from the pics, it looks like your loader has too much bite (below keel) and may be overloading your intake. From the sound of your build I would guess your HP may be 500 or so. The Procomp heads are, at best, equivalent to D0VE heads, and throwing a TR at them won't make them flow better even with a stout cam. You are at the point many of us are at at one time or another. Bolt-ons won't do much good at this point... you need to get your setup straightened out before you build it more. Your hull may not even LIKE a droop and may slow you down. Or it likes a droop with a 2* wedge (or 4*). All this is part of getting speed from maximizing your setup. I'm at 75 with a .040 over 460 with a Comp 282H cam, Stealth dual plane, 8.5:1 motor in an open bow with an E pump. Keep in mind each change you make in hardware affects your setup and the process starts over. Welcome to the jetboat zone... test, change, test, change, repeat. Or try a sterndrive
    cause now your at bass boat speeds. have fun at 80 :jawdrop:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast