Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with prop size

96donzi
    i have a 96 22ft donzi classic with a 454 mpi 385 horsepower it came with a 26 pitch prop on it and im only getting about 4200 rpms at wot does anybody now what would be the best pitch im trying to get more top end will more rpms on a less pith prop do that 4 me i dont want to make the mistake of buying a smaller prop for no reason can any1 help thanks nick

I just don't know if that 454 will pull anymore than that. Maybe a little more but how much more Top End are you looking for? Just a couple MPH or 10? A less pitch/diameter prop in theory will give you more RPM but will it give you what your looking for, I don't think so? It will help the bottom end out though. Hopefully someone will chime in and correct me!!!

96donzi
    thanks for the insight i was just thinking if i could go down 2 pitches and gain full rpm 5100 maybe i could hit 72 mph im syuck at about 68 mph any thougths anybody. im going to try to find a 23 to borrow and see what happends. may be i need more horsepower

Blue Thunder
    In theory you gain 200 rpm per inch of pitch. So to get to 5000rpm you need to go to a 22P. The engine should run much better throughout the rpm band with a properly sized prop. I assume you are talking about a Bravo 1 4b prop here?

In theory you gain 200 rpm per inch of pitch. So to get to 5000rpm you need to go to a 22P. The engine should run much better throughout the rpm band with a properly sized prop. I assume you are talking about a Bravo 1 4b prop here?
    Much agreed!!!
    96donzi, what I would try and do is borrow one and see how she runs.. I'm sure there's someone on here that would be able to help you out..

96donzi
    yes it's a bravo I but its a 3 blade mirrage should i have a 4 blade witch 1 gives better top end

Blue Thunder
    Bravo 1 props are 4 blade and come stock in "even" inch sizes. A 26 inch bravo 1 prop will give you the same WOT rpm as a 25p mirage. Mirages, which you have, are 3 blade and come stock in odd number inch sizes. So if you have a mirage stamped 26p it has been modified probably from a 27p mirage. I'm not sure what you have. You should get a bone stock prop to test and get some solid baseline WOT rpm readings. I would probably hunt for a 25p mirage original prop (non plus) which will behave like a labbed mirage plus 25p prop. I actually have a set of those I would probably sell, but as a set only. The important thing though is that you get a known prop to test and get a accurate baseline of WOT rpm.
    BT

96donzi
    your right its a 25 pitch i was not looking at it right

Blue Thunder
    Is it a plus version mirage or the older original with solid hub?

96donzi
    yes i think its the plus it does not have a solid hub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast