Thread: JIC connectors and hoses

82SleekCraft
    Does anyone have a trick for installing these hoses onto the push-on connectors? I have a #12 hose I'm trying to push on to a brass connector with 3 barbs. Somehow, after a long agony with pushing it manually, I still have about 1/8" to go. Seems that the last 10% always takes 90% of the time. I've lubricated both hose and connector liberally but can only get so far. I've tried holding the hose while hitting the connector with a short 2x4 with no luck. With the connector on the ground, I've tried putting my weight down on the hose with gloves on. Still no luck. I've searched the internet and found a tool but is only available for #6 hoses. Does anyone out there know how this is done by the professionals? Your help is appreciated.

burbanite
    Not exactly sure what you are up against without knowing more specific details about which fittings you are using....brass? Who makes them?
    Most manufacturers make their fittings to suit their hose, often there is a conflict when trying to use parts from two different sources.
    I am just guessing here without more specific info.

82SleekCraft
    burbanite:
    Not exactly sure what you are up against without knowing more specific details about which fittings you are using....brass? Who makes them?
    Most manufacturers make their fittings to suit their hose, often there is a conflict when trying to use parts from two different sources.
    I am just guessing here without more specific info. Brass fittings with Aeroquip hose (blue jacket on the hose).
    The fittings look like this and are for #12 hose

The hose I'm using looks like this:

I found this tool but only goes up to -6 hose.

I'm guessing that the procedure is not that much different from the AN fittings and braided hoses widely used in people's boats.
    [ July 25, 2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: 82SleekCraft ]

burbanite
    Aeroquip "Socketless" correct?
    Are those brass fittings designed for Socketless hose or are they for a generic hose? I know that Aeroquip make aluminum and steel fittings specifically for their own hose.
    Have you tried water as a lube, I know Aeroquip recommend oil when using their reusable fittings but I'm not so sure I'd use it in this app.
    Do you have a -12 male fitting that you can hold in a vise (on the hex), screw on the female and then push the hose on. At least you will have something to push against.
    Also, don't use a clamp with this type of hose/fitting.

lube with water or windex or a light oil, put the fitting in a vice or down on the concrete floor and push like hell. I've installed quite a few of these, they're tough but not impossible. You will not get them on without lubing though. And forget getting them off without a knife. They work good with the correct hose.

82SleekCraft
    Rexone:
    lube with water or windex or a light oil, put the fitting in a vice or down on the concrete floor and push like hell. I've installed quite a few of these, they're tough but not impossible. You will not get them on without lubing though. And forget getting them off without a knife. They work good with the correct hose. I'm on my last 1/8" left. I'm hesitant to slit the hose and start all over again. The lubricant which was on there when I started has probably already evaporated. Maybe I'll soak the connector in water overnight to get the water into the nooks and crannies and try pushing the rest the morning after.

burbanite
    Soapy water, just remembered that....
    [ July 27, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: burbanite ]

burbanite:
    Soapy water, just remembered that.... Probably the best idea of the bunch.

flat broke
    Ditto,
    I,ve started using dawn straight up when assembling braided, and it definitely helps.
    Chris