Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: river hydro,s

bad influence
    to all you guys that wanna play at the river with your hydro,s here,s something new that should change your mind about outboard rudder verses inboard rudder,i,v been building and playing with hydro,s for about 12 years in which i own two right now ,one,s a 78 sanger outboard rudder and the others a deaver, my sangers has a blown and injected 496 chevy with a 2 speed and clutch and the boats been alot of fun over the years except for the turning issues on the river,the reason i went with outboard rudder was everybody told me it was alot safer if you were going to put some power to it and if your building a hydro they need power to pop the tail quicker but always hated the turning around part because the river in needles is a little narrow,so check this out i was talking to ron over at rbr and he said try putting a second rudder on it so last year i tried it and you hydro guys wouldn,t believe the differance, this boat is so much more fun to drive and it turns, and it was the best thing i,v done,it also slows the boat down way sooner ,anyway just passing the tip on and if i can help at all just ask,i,ll have both of my hydro,s at billy,s vdrive in april the both have the double rudder setup and they look cool,,,,,,ron builds the setup at rbr and its really worth it,come check it out in april, we need a few more hydro,s down in needles,,,,,,,,,

twisted202
    How much did it slow you down on the top end speed adding the second rudder assembly:idea: ?

bad influence
    How much did it slow you down on the top end speed adding the second rudder assembly:idea: ?
    honestly i haven,t noticed any loss anywhere,but i,m sure there might be a little if you were at the track,but the cool thing is four bolts and two for the cross bar and your back to a single rudder,everybody knows more drag should slow you down but i,v shortend both my rudders to the legal limit which is 2 inches below the prop so in my case i dont think i have anymore rudder in the water than before because i took off atleast 2 inches off each one

Interesting!!! You don't happen to have any pictures would you? I'm curious on how it's setup.

bad influence
    Interesting!!! You don't happen to have any pictures would you? I'm curious on how it's setup.
    i,ll take some this weekend and put up a few pictures,it really looks good,i hope this will set a new trend for all the guys who like to play with there hydro,s at the rivers or lakes, it just feels alot safer,a few more things i,v noticed is when the boats up and flyin i used to feel the front of the boat walk a little,,,,no more,,,, and when you start to slow down the back used to walk a little from side to side,,,,,no more,,,,and before it would take a long time to slow down but now it cut the shut down time in half,i,ll do my best at getting some pictures up over the weekend,,,,,

i,ll take some this weekend and put up a few pictures,it really looks good,i hope this will set a new trend for all the guys who like to play with there hydro,s at the rivers or lakes, it just feels alot safer,a few more things i,v noticed is when the boats up and flyin i used to feel the front of the boat walk a little,,,,no more,,,, and when you start to slow down the back used to walk a little from side to side,,,,,no more,,,,and before it would take a long time to slow down but now it cut the shut down time in half,i,ll do my best at getting some pictures up over the weekend,,,,,
    Thanks!!! Anything to make it safer!! Like you mentioned it's easy to remove so if you do go to the races it's not a problem. Even though I would be curious to compare time slips and see if there's actually a difference???:idea:

bad influence
    Thanks!!! Anything to make it safer!! Like you mentioned it's easy to remove so if you do go to the races it's not a problem. Even though I would be curious to compare time slips and see if there's actually a difference???:idea:
    heres a few pictures,will put up a few more later

Caught N the Act
    A few questions Bad Influence;
    1- What about safety, meaning the prop blast to the port side rudder may lift the boat if and when it blows the tail. This would be a major safety concern of mine... have you done any testing?
    2- Are the rudders a "progressive steer", meaning one steers quicker then the other?
    3- What kind of transom reinforcement have you done to the boat to accommodate for the major amount of drag you added?
    Finally - why not a single rudder in the middle? That would be the best place for for a drag boat rudder if you think you have steering issues....
    Caught N the Act 225

bad influence
    #1 i,v been testing all last summer from march to sept three weekends a month and have not noticed any unsafe things yet,everything has been a positive,no prop blast to the port side rudder,no funny lifting of the boat,it just felt safe,,,,,,#2 as far as the rudders they both turn exactly the same,,,,#3 i,v added two more turn buckles and for twice the strength to the rear transom,, #4 and the only reason i tried two rudders instead of one in the middle was i thought it would look cool with two rudders instead of one,,,,for all i know one in the middle might turn even better than two but i liked the way it looked with two,,,,, and it works,,,, as far as drag my single rudder was 4,, below the prop, i shortend both rudders to 2,, below the prop in which as far as i can tell i,v still only have 4,, in the water,so as far as drag in sure there might be some but i haven,t felt it only the clock would give me that answer and it would be easy to check, 4 bolts and your back to single rudder,,,,troy you,ve taught me everything i know and if it wasn,t for you taking the time to teach me i wouldn,t be able to play with the toys i love the most,,,,thanks for everything,,,,, now would you get your hydro done so we can start having some fun,,,,,

Caught N the Act
    Bad Influence,
    Personally I believe and have great admiration for someone who has enough fortitude in trying something new like yourself. 2" of drag is only relative once the boat blows the tail. I would highly recommend lengthen the rudders being that you run on the River. I'm hopeful that for safety reasons the v-drive, engine location, horizontal CG as well as the after plane to strut CG (balance)
    (boat loaded w/driver) was all taken into consideration and set to the proper values?
    At any rate, looks like a top notch operation Bad Influence!
    P.S how the hell is troy?
    Caught N the Act 225

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast