Thread: Need help with hull identity..

Tolly
    I am looking to buy another jet boat after a brief stint in a Taylor LP20 with a Johnson GT200 over the last few months. I have discovered that I am not outboard material. However the wife says we aint going back to the low profile, 18ft, two buckets and a bench variety of jetboat, but she did say it could be a low profile boat with O/T exhaust as long as it was a bowrider. I didn't figure that there was such a beast until I saw one in an old boat trader the other day. The ad stated that it was a 20ft Rochelle I think, but I can't remeber for sure and I can't find the damn boat trader. Does anyone know if there is such a boat made by Rochelle or anyone else that fits my bill??? The boat was awesome looking, it was low-profile and was a bow rider but also had an exposed engine compartment with O/T headers. I would really like to have a boat like that and was wondering if any of y'all could tell me about any hulls that might fit the bill?? I am basically wanting the boat for a family boat to ski and tube behind but I would also like a good enough hull that could take some horsepower and run in the mid 80's range. I don't care if the boat needs to be rebuilt or not, and would even love to find one without a motor. Thanks in advance!!!

Tolly
    Also, I was told that Eliminator made an opoen bow version of their Liberty model and that it was a 20ft low profile boat. Is anyone familiar with this hull?

572Daytona
    I found these in the boat trader...open bow Baker Tunnel:
    http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/1/8/50442318.htm
    TX 19 Scorpion:
    http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/6/48366166.htm
    Most of the bow rider jets that you will find are probably going to have an enclosed engine and thru hull exhaust as that is more family friendly and makes it easier for your skiers to climb back in the boat

Tolly
    Thanks for the reply 572. That Baker is killer looking, and I will be making a call on it. Do you know anything about the Bakers?? I am very familiar with TX19's, but I must say that is the first bow rider TX19 I have ever seen or heard of. The ad says that it is a TX19 Texas Tunnel, but I have never heard of anyone refer to a TX19 as a Texas Tunnel. There are Texas Tunnels all over the place where I live but they are all Earl Smith boats, Gen 1's and Gen 2's. I know that it is going to be difficult to find what I am looking for, especially in an affordable "project boat". I would buy a boat that was ready to go however if it was a good enough deal, and I will make a call on the Baker. Thanks!
    [ July 10, 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Tolly ]

572Daytona
    I've never heard of Baker boats either...it looks like 1988 was the last year they built boats. It looks like the open bow model is called the Sprint, it makes me wonder if it is a splash of an Eliminator Sprint http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/Val...0124&Year=1988
    I seem to remember Hot Boat doing a writeup on the Scorpion bowrider a few years back, maybe someone else can recall what issue it was in.

Heatseeker
    I've seen a couple of California Performance gullwing open bows too.

Tolly
    Thanks for the info guys. I was also told that Carrera made a low profile bow rider. Does anyone happen to know how the gullwings ride and perform in the bow rider config.

Tolly:
    Thanks for the info guys. I was also told that Carrera made a low profile bow rider. Does anyone happen to know how the gullwings ride and perform in the bow rider config. I have been in a few and the handle good and ride good BUT, the freeboard is close to nil when you have a boatload of people. If the water gets to choppy then you will get wet. I see them anywhere from 10 to 15 grand, there is a closed engine open bow CP in the SD boat trader now, just do a search on the word "performance". Hope that helps.
    Chris

Tolly
    FryJet Said...
    I have been in a few and the handle good and ride good BUT, the freeboard is close to nil when you have a boatload of people. If the water gets to choppy then you will get wet. I see them anywhere from 10 to 15 grand, there is a closed engine open bow CP in the SD boat trader now, just do a search on the word "performance". Hope that helps.I don't think I want to go with an open bow TX19 or anything like because I think they are just a little too low profile. Damn I'm hard to please ain't I??? I located a 20ft bow rider Rochell this morning with a blown up Ford motor in it and I am going to go take a look at it in person tonight. It looks like what I want in the picture, now if I could only find out more about the boats themselves. I would definitley be swapping out the Ford for Chevy power and repainting this boat if I bought it, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time and money on it if it will not perform the way I want it to. By that I mean that I don't want to put 550-600HP motor in a boat that isn't designed for it, or wont handle worth a damn at speed. I have been down that road already with an 18ft Ranger with a Panther pump. Thanks again
    [ July 11, 2003, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Tolly ]