Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What grade oil should I run?

Foolish
    Not really sure what grade oil I should be running in my jet boat with a 455 olds and a berk 12JB with A impeller (that just got a nice new hydro place diverter wink )
    I was running 10w30 last season but have heard of some of you guys running 20w-50. What would you guys run in my boat?
    Thanks in advance

Wet Dream
    Straight 50w. Valvoline works great. About $2.30/qt, but I like it.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Wet Dream:
    Straight 50w. Valvoline works great. About $2.30/qt, but I like it. I am with wetdream on this one. I run valvoline str8 50w because it doesnt break down as fast and also helps add a little on the oil pressure wink but thats jussss my lil 2 pennies wink
    396 wink

sleekcraft76
    volvoline st50 vri racing oil. works good for me.

Foolish
    Its UNANIMOUS! Thanks guys, straight 50W it is.

Eric455
    valvoline racing 40w. nothing but. but then again i have a bbc. i dont know if it would matter in ur case. depending on the clearance's i would think 50w would be too thick. ask before you change, i could be wrong. good luck
    eric
    [ June 30, 2003, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Eric455 ]

disco_charger
    Funny, I would think that the particulars of his set up and the internals of his motor would dictate what weight oil to run. If I ran straight 50, or straight 40, I would be popping gaskets all day long. On an Olds, set up is pretty important. Is he running restrictors? Does he have the Mondello high volume oil pump? How much water is he running in the motor, and what kind of temp does it see? How big is his oil pan. Are we running a cooler? These are pretty important factors...Just a thought.

Eric455
    disco_charger:
    Funny, I would think that the particulars of his set up and the internals of his motor would dictate what weight oil to run. If I ran straight 50, or straight 40, I would be popping gaskets all day long. On an Olds, set up is pretty important. Is he running restrictors? Does he have the Mondello high volume oil pump? How much water is he running in the motor, and what kind of temp does it see? How big is his oil pan. Are we running a cooler? These are pretty important factors...Just a thought. ask before you change, i could be wrong. good luck
    your right. he should think about this and make the right change.

565edge
    After reading the dyno results from cyclone and seeing how much power he gained from draining his oil down,I now have a 12 quart pan with only 2 quarts of prolong with no oil,I actually gained 150 hp on the dyno.

disco_charger
    565edge:
    After reading the dyno results from cyclone and seeing how much power he gained from draining his oil down,I now have a 12 quart pan with only 2 quarts of prolong with no oil,I actually gained 150 hp on the dyno. As nice a jab as that was, that doesn't help this guy much. I was just thinking about this guy out on the river with a bilge full of oil. Lot's of people are quick to give advice on these forums these days. The large majority of us know very little about every single aspect of boating and can all learn something. The vast majority of us will never own an engine that goes on the dyno. But just telling this guy that he needs to run 50 wt oil without knowing anything about the motor is a little odd. Would you put straight 50 wt in your wife's new Camry? No. It's not all cut and dried. I had to run 20-50 in the last boat. This boat, I'm running 10-30 and may even drop down to 5-30. Everyone's set up is different. I'm not trying to mock anyone, get in a pissing match, or tell you how it should be. There is more than one answer to any question. We all know that the Olds has some oiling issues. I'd hate to think that a poor choice could lead to the death of his motor. As I recall the Olds doesn't allow for enough oil to drain back down to the bottom. I know that in a jet boat, if you're turning above 5K RPM's there are a number of safeguards motor builders employ to help longevity. Most of these safeguards affect the oiling habits of the engine. I also allowed that I could be very wrong. I have pretty limited experience with Olds. Maybe one of the Olds guru's could point this guy in the right direction. Was just trying to be helpful to this guy, not take him into some other pointless fight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast