Thread: Oil Coolers

AntRant
    Just want to know how many jet guys use these.Do i realy need one on a mostly stock 460 (365hp)?
    [ August 22, 2002, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: AntRant ]

HBjet
    No, save your money!
    HBjet

schiada96
    I think we need some more info. How do you drive the boat, what is the water temp, how big is it. Oil should get hot enough to burn off the condensation but not too hot and a oil coller is the easy way to control the temp. If you are running a large boat under a constant load I think a oil cooler is a wise choice.

Liberator TJ1984
    I have one , but it is not installed as of yet...most of the guys down here run them..if not practical? still gives them a warm fuzzy feel ! I am running a blower with iron heads @ 8.75:1 compression...I feel anything I can do to keep temps.down will help prevent detonation if I am forced to run 93 pump gas just depends on temps.there and how hard you run the boat ?

pb
    Better yet, what is your oil temp. You could install an oil temp. gauge to monitor this. I did this for my new motor and never see oil temps above 230* without a cooler. Optimum temp is 220-230* to burn off any condensation that may be produced. 260*-270* would make me a little nervous.
    Sometimes an oil cooler could over cool the oil which would require an oil cooler thermostat to maintain the optimum temp.
    Check your oil temps first before spending unnecessary dollars.
    Paul

SoCalPower
    Here is my latest little project. Combination crossover/oil cooler for BBC.......still testing. Results thus far are encouraging. I'll post final numbers in a few weeks. BTW can also be used as PS cooler.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/tc_rtd.JPG[/img]
    Good advise by the posters here. Don't spend the $$$ if not needed. Base your decision on your application and be sure to maintain the proper oil level.
    db