Thread: Pump rebuild

waterslinger
    Who has used Dons pump service?? Looking for good
    performance rebuild with some bowl work. Open to all input.

Torino Jet
    He rebuilt my pump about 2 months ago. He did a great job, but it was a little more money than I expected to pay. He talked me into getting a cavitation reducer. I don't really think I needed in on my 16' boat w/ a stock 455, but I am easy sale when it comes to my boat. After rebuild, cav reducer, and shipping, I paid $1400! I want to sell my boat now to get something a little bigger (for the wife and kids), but I don't want to eat that money w/o getting some use out of it.

BigJetDaddy
    Do not be afraid to send your pump to Don. He has done two for me and his work is excellent. He wasn't any more expensive than anyone else. I would definitely do business with him again!
    BJD

waterslinger
    Thanks for the info guys. Had a phone conversation with him and sounded like a stand
    up guy who is on his game. Did you get some
    MPH out of the flow work???

BigJetDaddy
    It was hard to tell how much I gained from the bowl work. The first time I had Don do work, it was just a basic rebuild of a worn out pump (500 muddy, sandy river hours). I gained about 5mph. Thes second time (240 muddy, sandy river hours later) I went from that to a full blueprint / flow job. At the same time, I went from a basically stock BBC to a 500+ hp gas sucker. I gained 10-11 mph. It was hard to tell how much of that was motor and how much was pump. I can say that both times I have been totally satisfied with Don. I have called him numerous times over the past ten years and bothered him with stupid questions (even on weekends and late at night) and he has always been helpful. He has even helped me when I have been stumped on motor problems not directly related to the pump. I am not saying that the other guys on the west coast, or Duane Oblander would not give you the same service, they probably would, I have never delt with them. I can just say that Don has always treated me like I was his #1 customer, even years after the sale.
    BTW My jet is an 18 ft Taylor with a 12JF Berkeley, AA impeller.
    BJD

RENEGADE454
    I had my pump done by Dons Last winter. It was a wore out dominator JC with aa impeller.
    I talked to him a couple of times and he was very helpful. I gave him all my engines specs and he calculated H.P. for me and set the pump up accordingly. I did the cavatation reducer, flow and blueprint. Hope to get the boat back in the river mid August , will let you know the results. I am in the mid west so I chose Dons because of location(shipping costs). the boat ran 68 with two people on GPS with a wore out pump. Anxious to see any differences. Good luck on your rebuild

waterslinger
    Cool keep me posted as to what kind of MPH you get. I am not going to pull my pump down till
    September. Lots of good week ends here in south
    GA and mid Fla.