Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winterizing a jet?????

quig
    can anyone help with suggestions on the best way to get my boat ready for the winter ??? did I mention I hate winter!!!!!!!!!! specificly what to do with the jet pump for the winter freeze?? did I mention that I hate winter !!!!!!!!!!!
    [ November 04, 2002, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: quig ]

P-Money
    Although our jet is stored in a boat house that doesn't get below freezing all we do is blow out the water pick up and dump lines with an air compressor and then dump antifreeze in the motor. Put some moth balls in it and thats it! If there's something else to do, I'd be interested in knowing what it is.

Bitz
    Will tell you what I do.
    -Add Gas stabilizer (stabil) and run to make sure and get some into the carb and lines.
    -with warm engine and run fogging oil into carb to oil up valves and cylinders. Or pull plugs and spray WD40 in.
    - Change the oil in the jet pump bowl after last run when mixed up. Get rid of all the mikshake stuff. Water freezing in the bowl is a pain.
    -Pull the battery
    -Grease the thrust bearing
    -Last but not least check your wheel bearings for the creamy stuff(water) this is a pain but...

JetBoatRich
    Mine is kept inside, which should be only for a couple months in So.CA. I amke sure it's clean and no water sitting and once the weather is right prep it and get on the water.

Cantrip
    Thank God for So Cal, there is no such thing as winterizing, today for instance, what a perfect day to go out, I just might......

DUCKY
    change the oil in the pump and the engine.
    Add stabilizer to the fuel.
    Fire it up and fog the motor down with fogging oil or tranny fluid or something.
    run the carb dry by clamping the fuel line or something, and then fill the bowls with WD-40 through the bowl vents (If it is a holley)
    Remove the battery.
    Set your seat cushions upright so they don't mildew, take the weight off the trailer tires, and pour some RV antifreeze down the waterneck.
    Cover it up and pray for some warmer weather!

quig
    thanks for all the good advice guys!!!! oh... and by the way did I mention that I hate winter ... freezing rain all day and now calling for 15-25 cm's (8-12" in American ) blowing in off the ocean tommorow night do you think this is happening because I said that it hardly snows here????? come on spring... hey! does anybody in Cali or Az need a room mate for the next 4-6 months ???? I gota cool boat , and a truck to tow with & I can change tires pretty good so I would be helpful
    [ November 05, 2002, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: quig ]

Havasu Heat
    Best thing here is run up to the sand bar once a
    month, like this thursday(predicted 82 degrees.)
    Then start it in the patio every 2 wks. and let it run for 10 mins. First thing you know its
    spring break and fun time.
    Havasu Heat(Jerry)

79Hawaiian
    - Spray a coat of WD40 in the pipes and on the engine/manifold/pan/pump.
    -Grease the wheel bearings
    -Moth Balls! I use them to keep cats out. Once I had a friggin squirel nest in there. I heard all small animals hate moth balls.
    -Home Depot plastic tarps. Not the blue but the clear. Get the 6MIL and put it over your cover. It lasts most of the winter and only costs $10. It saves your expensive cover because it keeps the dirt and water off. Sun still hurts but hey, it's winter right?

Moomawnster
    I use the black 6mil plastic and the sun doesn't hurt my canvas ,also it lasts for years
    Right now my motor, seats , and controls are all removed .... I will flip the hull and work on the bottom scratches this winter while building a new motor and putting in a loader grate ..... winter has its uses !
    [ November 06, 2002, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Moomawnster ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast