Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who all has a 455 olds in thier boat?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I just wanted to know what everybody is running in thier 455 olds as fas as parts. I already know what to put in my 454 chevy but I am rebuilding my 455 olds in about a month and I wanted to know what all I need to do it right. I know I need oil restrictors and a bigger oil pan but what else would be a good investment for that motor to stay strong for a couple of years or more. I plan on balancing,new cam,lifters,springs,rocker arms,timing chain,head gaskets, and an all new gasket set.Anybody have any ideas for me?
    Thanks,396

Todd
    Might check this place out:
    http://my.inil.com/~dlbrown/oldsfaq.htm?35,7
    Most Olds info I've found in one spot. BTW: doing the same to mine this winter...crank, rods, pistons, cam, rockers, intake, carb ignition...etc etc etc.

Duke
    Todd, you wouldnt know where i could find that kind of info for chevy's would you?

Todd
    Not exactly like the Olds FAQ. The closest thing I've seen to the Olds FAQ for Chevy's is the "How To Hot Rod your Big/Small Block Chevy" books at Schmucks. Not to say that it's not out there somewhere. I just haven't had any reason to look for it due to the fact that I sold off every Chevy I've ever had.
    If you're looking for engine/head/crank numbers & what they came from, there's tons of sites on the net that list that kind of stuff. Just search go.com for Chevy engine numbers and it'll hand you 40+ useable sites.
    If you're looking for information that's a little more marine performance oriented, I'd definitely watch the ***boat forums for guys saying what they did to their boat and what works. I'm new to the forum, but have been fiddlin with high perf engines since high school & the BS doesn't seem too awful deep here. I just don't know squat about jet pumps is all...If I did...I wouldn't have a YJ on my boat!
    Also, you could check here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...936348-3504037
    Don't know if I've helped or not, but this is what I know. Happy jettin!

Jungle Boy
    396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
    I just wanted to know what everybody is running in thier 455 olds as fas as parts. I already know what to put in my 454 chevy but I am rebuilding my 455 olds in about a month and I wanted to know what all I need to do it right. I know I need oil restrictors and a bigger oil pan but what else would be a good investment for that motor to stay strong for a couple of years or more. I plan on balancing,new cam,lifters,springs,rocker arms,timing chain,head gaskets, and an all new gasket set.Anybody have any ideas for me?
    Thanks,396Why would you change out a 454 with a 455 olds. Everyone on these boards complain about the 455ci; no oil pressure, can't run them hard, water leaks, oil leaks, low reving, heavy, ect.

rmclague
    Everyone sounds like they have good input but I would like to add one more thing. Olds are bad about cam thrust. Mondello makes a cam button to stop this from happenind and thus stops the need for frequent retiming of the engine. It is a very inexpensive peice that will eliminate a lot of grief.
    I rarely post because by the time I see a thread
    It is usually already answered suficciently or has tuned into a juvenille name calling contest, but I really thought you should get this peice of information. Good luck on your olds, they do fine if you build them right from the start.
    Rob

S/C Rebel
    I would get Joe Mondello's " Technical Reference Manual" (805-237-8808)($24.) before you get too far along with your rebuild plans, It covers all the details. Another other good resource is www.442.com, they have a great forum with some very sharp Oldsmofiles. Hope that helps.

malcolm
    I heard some Mondello talk.
    http://www.mondellotwister.com/

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Thanks guys for the input.
    As far as jungle boy's reply I would never swap out a 454 for a 455. I have two different boats and engines. The boat I just bought was really cheap and it came with the 455olds. My other boat is almost done and it has a 454.
    396_Always_Workin_On_A_455_And_A_454- at the same time. wink wink

Jordy
    Damn Michael, you are just glutton for punishment. Two boats, two motors...
    Hey, we are looking at going to Saguaro Saturday around noon for sure and maybe Sunday too, although we might end up at Bartlett on Sunday. The Saturday plan is definate if you're interested.
    Jordy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast