Thread: edge guards

hickz3
    My boat's going in to be painted Monday, looking for ideas on edge protection. There's a fair amount of damage on the upper deck edges. The ones that were on it were a pencil thick aluminum I think. Can I fill in the slight gap instead of covering it up with a guard. Is it possible.

sidewound
    Hey,
    Come on all you glassmasters. I'm painting my sidewinder myself this winter and I Have planned on glassin the two clamshells together and skippin the trim. Whaddayasay? Too much flex? Will it break out? Peace Man
    Ps. On my 72 sidewinder the halves don"t line up for S#*T.

bmff
    I have done this to my Sidewinder. The shells were not fastened together well enough to hold. You will need to put at least 2 and preferably more layers of glass on the inside. Grind out the crack from the outside and build it back up with cloth,then cover that (outside) with a wide strip or two then fair it out. Lots of work but worth it. Good luck.

HavasuBarney
    We call that, Capping a hull.
    It is a lot of work, if your planning on painting Monday, spend your weekend looking for some good trim to match.
    I like the look of capped hulls very much, if you ever pull up to docks or tie up with other boats, it offers no protection.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    I'VE NOTICED THE SAME THING ON MY SIDEWINDER, I'LL HAVE TO DO THE SAME THING TO GET THE DECK AND HULL TO BE THE WAY I WANT IT.

HavasuBarney
    Some cap advice.
    When I cap a boat, here's the way I go about it.
    Take a grinder on a 45 degree angle, grind the seam from top and bottom into a nice V. Go at least1/4 of an inch down.
    Use a fiberglass reinforced filler to fill any gaps, screw holes or voids. You want to give the glass a solid surface to bond to. Rough that up with some 36 grit.
    I like to use small pieces of 2 oz matt and piece them around the seam. Just wet the seam with some resin, place the pieces in the seam, wet them out with a brush, then follow with a roller to get any air out.

Build up your seam with several layers as needed.
    Once that dries, grind it into shape.

You'll want to fill and smooth it prior to appling any color. I'm in process of completing a FAQ section on my board that will explain it in more detail.
    Feel free to ask qusetions, please keep in mind there are other methods that can be used to achieve similar or better results.

[img]http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/500/35sleek_sides-med.jpg[/img]

sidewound
    Barney, thanks for the advice,
    Very cool to see someone who works on boats sharing his knowlwdge for free. I've seen pics of some of your work, (I live in Ia.), and it looks like you know what your doing.
    What do you think of the comment of adding more glass to the inside? Peace Man
    Cesar

HavasuBarney
    I think most hulls are not going to need it, there should be glass there holding it together already. Removing a rub rail will do nothing to compromise the structural integrity.
    In the comment above though, he mentioned the decks were not connected, then I would say add glass inside.
    The supporting structural glass should be inside the boat.