Thread: Engine work in North Central Valley / SF bay area?

80TaylorSS
    Can anyone suggest a shop to work on by Indmar 460 Ford engine. This is in a 1980 Taylor SS Jet boat. It is acting like the fuel pump may be failing (or some other problem). The boat is stored in Modesto so a shop in the area would be good. Otherwise I can bring it back to the SF bay area if there are any shops there. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    John
    [ September 01, 2002, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: 80TaylorSS ]

Jungle Boy
    You should post in the "West" and "Hot Section" too. Lots of knowledge in there that may be able to help.

Hotcrusader76
    80TaylorSS:
    Can anyone suggest a shop to work on by Indmar 460 Ford engine. This is in a 1980 Taylor SS Jet boat. It is acting like the fuel pump may be failing (or some other problem). The boat is stored in Modesto so a shop in the area would be good. Otherwise I can bring it back to the SF bay area if there are any shops there. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    JohnBreak it down:
    What's happening? Maybe us here on the posts can guide you at a cheaper pace then dropping it off at some shop you no nothing about?

80TaylorSS
    The problem I am experencing is at fast speed you can feel hesatation in the engine. At slow speed/idle speed it dies. This just started happening this last trip out. We headed for the dock right away. I tried starting it up again, and it sounded fine but I don't want to risk taking it out on the water until I find the problem. It is acting like my car did when the fuel pump was going out, you have to give it a lot of gas to keep it going.
    Thanks

Hotcrusader76
    80TaylorSS:
    The problem I am experencing is at fast speed you can feel hesatation in the engine. At slow speed/idle speed it dies. This just started happening this last trip out. We headed for the dock right away. I tried starting it up again, and it sounded fine but I don't want to risk taking it out on the water until I find the problem. It is acting like my car did when the fuel pump was going out, you have to give it a lot of gas to keep it going.
    ThanksCheck for fuel leaks first (no smell of gas?)
    Check fuel filter
    Check fuel regulator (if applicable)
    Check ground wire to electric pump (if applicable)
    Lastly check the fuel float level in your carb (provided its a Holley)
    Then most likely yes, it might be the pump.
    What type of pump is it? You can get a simple Holley blue or red off Ebay for under $50 to fix the problem or go to http://www.jegs.com for a new one
    [ September 01, 2002, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

Jungle Boy
    Hey Hotcrusader, I think he needs a new carb!! Anyone know where to get one? J/K.

Hotcrusader76
    Jungle Boy:
    Hey Hotcrusader, I think he needs a new carb!! Anyone know where to get one? J/K.Carbs are not the pill to ones illness.
    Damm...the story of my life...LOL

NorCal Gameshow
    walt's hot boat in modesto...