Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Mount ? for 455

Taylorman
    I am wondering how important is the metal strap that attaches to the two stringer motor mounts on a three point mount. That sounded stupid. I have a Taylor SJ 1976 with 455. It has a 3 point motor mount. Im sure most of you have seen the flat metal strap that runs under the enging and prevents you from using a ten qt. oil pan. Is this piece of metat that critcal, or can I just unbolt it from the motor mounts and put on a 10 qt pan?

hack job
    well on my spectra 19 with a 460 i did just that and it had no efect on the way the motor ran in the boat( no excessive shaking)
    just my .02 wink

GlastronGuy
    We are running a 10 quart pan on a 455 with a 3 point mount and the strap in place. Where we had fitting problems at was where the jet intake forms a hump at the rear of the motor. We had to relieve some material from the bilge and it is a tight fit but it works. Have you tried the pan or are you assuming it won't fit? We did find out that only one type of pan would fit in our application (Glastron/Carlson)and had to sell the first pan at a loss as we had to "persuade" it to fit. These pics are not of the actual pans, just a representation of the style.
    This one didn't work:

This one did:

Duane HTP
    The way we have handeled that problem on several boats , Is to make a strap that fits along the floor bottom, weld it in place, and then cut out the original strap.Duane HTP

Taylorman
    If im not mistaking, the metal strap on mine just bolts to the mounts therefore I would not have to cut it out, just unbolt it. Does anyone think I will have problems if I take it off?

Taylorman
    Come on guys, help me out here. Give me your opinion. Where are the experts when you need them?

caution 2
    Just use a 4pt front mount on the front, I have a used one, Jim

Taylorman
    Would a 4 point mount on the front and the pump mount on the rear be strong enough to support the engine? Im concerned that the rear mount could not take the weight. I am only asking this because I prefer not to change to 4 point mount because the 3 point mount covers the ujoint. The 4 point mount leaves the u joint exposed. Any other ideas are welcome.

GlastronGuy
    Taylorman:
    Come on guys, help me out here. Give me your opinion. Where are the experts when you need them?Duane HTP is one of the experts.

mud duck
    Duane at HTP did my '75 Taylor SS, Olds 455 w/12JE pump, engine mount mods for an over sized oil pan and pick up. I even have a picture at home of the fabricated new mount. I'll try and find it and post it here for your viewing pleasure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast