Thread: Adding full stringers??

Blown 472
    Can a non full stringer boat be converted to a full stringer boat?

HavasuBarney
    Yes but can you marry a stripper and get her to be faithful, cook and clean?

hack job
    HavasuBarney:
    Yes but can you marry a stripper and get her to be faithful, cook and clean? good point its a ton of work . and not the cleanest stuff either. if you decide to do it then you want to use all marine grade wood and make sure you consult a professonal about your placment and lenght and install , most boats with full lenght stringers the stringer were layed in to the glass so they sit a little below the top piece of glass( i would assume like 4 or 5 down) so keep that in mind. wink

malcolm
    So you can do it, but your boat will then leave you for a richer guy!

superV
    malcolm:
    So you can do it, but your boat will then leave you for a richer guy! Funny Focker today are we! LOL

DogHouse
    Laying in stringers shouldn't be a problem, just a lot of work! Of course you'll need to do plenty of prep work & sanding/grinding to get a good surface to bond to. If you want some strong and lightweight stringers you could build them up out of two layers of 3/4 balsa core with glass inbetween and fully wrapped with the glass cloth fibers oriented longitudinally. If you really want to get fancy add a layer of unidirectional reinforcing glass tape on the top and bottom of the stringer. Basically what you're building is a fiberglass box beam, very strong in bending and very light because of the balsa core. All the balsa is there for is to provide compression resistance against buckling the sides of the beam. Or you could just glass in some 2x4s and call it good!
    -brian

Blown 472
    Wow, sounds like alot of work, how much power will a non full stringer boat take?

SPECTRABRENT
    Yes, it can be done. Unless your are really good with fiberglass, I would get a professional to do the stringers.
    As for, how much power a non full lenght stringer
    boat can handle, I would not go above 600 HP.
    Good Luck,
    Brent

DogHouse
    Blown 472:
    Wow, sounds like alot of work, how much power will a non full stringer boat take? I suppose you could ask your life insurance guy that question and see what he says! wink
    (I don't have a clue in case you hadn't figured that out!)

beached 1
    I added them to my old Omega. It wasn't as hard I thought it would be. If you have any ?'s or wanna see pics, shoot me an e-mail.
    Laying wood to a dirty old slut can be fun!
    wink